corner beads

Did you not remove the radiator brackets :confused:

its easier removing the brackets and refitting them after plastering than negotiating around them! more so if the bottom of the brackets are close to the top of the skirting.

Sponsored Links
No didn't remove the brackets, didn't see much point in removing them, no skirting boards fitted yet.

Sponsored Links
Really, what's the point the rads going back on?
Well it depends how you look at it I suppose; it's your property & if you don’t see the point of removing 4 screws to do something properly then who am I to argue :rolleyes:;
Good luck withy the rest of it ;)

Well it depends how you look at it I suppose; it's your property & if you don’t see the point of removing 4 screws to do something properly

I can see your point of view on a neater finish, but to explore a little more.... is it easier to re-sit the radiator if the brackets aren't removed?

Once you've plastered over the wall, I would suspect the original holes will be difficult to locate.
So any tips for re-positioning the rad when doing this? (given the plumbing is fixed and rads are not light - especially working alone).

I'll always remove the radiator brackets myself. If the customer says he will remove the rad,, i tell him to leave the brackets on, and i'll sort them out. I normally mark each bracket, left and right. I also mark around the head of each screw with a pencil, so i know exactly where each screw was located on the bracket. Sometimes, when a bracket is taken off, there might be a few other unwanted plugs/holes that had been drilled in the past, so i'll fill them up first, to avoid confusion. When i'm ready to go, i put a small rolled up piece of paper into the holes i want to keep, and just plaster round them, taking them out now and again to tidy up around them. I've also deliberately plastered over the holes, (one at a time), then poked a nail into the hole "right away" to clear it. It might be a fiddly bit of extra work, and takes a few minutes extra time to do, but i think it's a far nicer finish, with the brackets, (even though you don't see them) fixed flush onto the wall surface, rather than plastering them in, and partly burying them. I also think it's "far" more awkward trying to plaster around them anyway.

Thanks Roughcaster, that's really useful advice.

I had a similar problem a while ago and confess I just plastered round them. The brackets were actually fixed to wooden battens. I suspect the process is the same - just a little more to remove! ;)

I've had that too Newbee. If the brackets are fixed onto wooden battens, then i'd leave them on and work around them. There's no point removing the wood itself,,, plus, if you plaster around the battens neatly enough, they wont look "buried", whereas brackets, on their own would. So i'd leave the wood battens in place, with the brackets attached,, just watch out you don't damage your trowel edge. You could also do more harm than good to the wall, trying to remove the wooden battens, especially if they're nailed on,,, no problem if they've been fixed on with screws.

I can see your point of view on a neater finish, but to explore a little more.... is it easier to re-sit the radiator if the brackets aren't removed?

Once you've plastered over the wall, I would suspect the original holes will be difficult to locate.
So any tips for re-positioning the rad when doing this? (given the plumbing is fixed and rads are not light - especially working alone).

Not really, I use a similar trick to RC; a tightly screwed up lump of toilet tissue & stuff it in the hole; it soaks up the water & leaves a slight hollow or pimple where the hole is; just keep giving it a poke witha screw driver if it starts to disappear under troweling. ;)

I wouldn't remove battens either unless the rad was being moved but that's a different scenario IMO.

We've gone a bit off track as regards to the OP, but i have in the past plastered walls with the radiators left on the wall. When i ask them (the customer) if they will remove the radiators ready for plastering,, some have said, "no,, it'll be alright,, don't worry about it,, just plaster in behind it as far as you can". :rolleyes: It doesn't happen very often, but what can you do? they're happy enough for the job to be done that way, it's their house, you can't argue with them,, and it doesn't matter what i think.

I'll always remove the radiator brackets myself.................. I also think it's "far" more awkward trying to plaster around them anyway.

I do the same - apart from anything else, it's quicker in the long run, and you save your good skimming trowel from getting nicks in when it bangs against the bracket.

Well it depends how you look at it I suppose; it's your property & if you don’t see the point of removing 4 screws to do something properly

The main reason why i left the brackets on was i'd never of found the the original holes for the rad so thought it would be easier for me to just plaster up to them & it is behind the rad and not seen i know this is not right i would expect if i was paying someone to plaster the wall to remove the brackets.

Thanks roughcaster i will try that on the next wall with a rad :) simple really didnt even think of doing something like that :oops:

At the end of the day im not a plasterer its my 7th wall I've ever plastered so i still have lots to learn...

Anyways Thanks again for the tips guys!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back