Corner Cabinet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am building a corner cabinet to cover my fusebox which is at floor level. not having much experience with working with wood i fear i have bitten off more than I can chew.

It wouldnt be such a problem if it was a basic triangle corner cabinet but because it has to incorporate the fuse box i have to build it out abit resulting in a triangle with two points cut off, hope this makes sense?

I have made and fitted corner shelves so I plan to build a frame round the front of them which means I have 2 corners of 137 degrees I have to build round. So my question is what is the easiest way to make a length wise bevel/mitre for the 2 uprights which will form the corner of the cabinet?

I have tried marking it out on the wood and using a hand saw and although one turned out OK im not confident they are all going to be the same as i am not very experienced at this. I have borrowed a circular saw but I fear it is a bit hefty considering the wood I am using is 20mm thick by 120mm wide. Any advise would be much apreciated! I am on a budget so wont be able to afford a table saw! :)

There is a jewsons nearby, Im wondering if they would cut the angles for me??

Sponsored Links
the easiest way would be to make it from 12mm mdf
measure the whole triangle without the points removed
say its 350mmx 350mm x 480mm make it square 355x355mm
draw a diagonal line from point to point
with combination square or handsaw mark the corners ether side off the diagonal line 45 degrees at each end to give your right angled sides to the diagonal line

clamp a baton parrallel along the the line at each end [base plate width away]to remove the corners
then clamp along the diagonal line and you should have 2 fairly identical componants
and iff you temporarily screw 2 squares together you will have 2 identical ends for 2 cabinets ;)

Thanks for the advise big-all very mucha appreciated

Im still not sure how I would mitre/bevel the sides to fit round the corner. With your example of 45 degree from the diagonal line that would leave a 135 degree angle which I need put the sides round, or am I getting the wrong end of the stick? My thinking is I Need an upright where the corner was cut off and one in line with the diagonal line as a frame for the door, so those would need to be mitred together which is a 135 degree angle?? Please tell me if I am making no sense! :)

Sponsored Links
Because there will be a gap right up the side where the 2 peices dont fit square and i cant just use a regular triangle because the fuse box wont fit. Unless im missing the point?

If you can think of an easier way of doing it with neat joins then let me know.

Thanks for the advise big-all very mucha appreciated

Im still not sure how I would mitre/bevel the sides to fit round the corner. With your example of 45 degree from the diagonal line that would leave a 135 degree angle which I need put the sides round, or am I getting the wrong end of the stick? My thinking is I Need an upright where the corner was cut off and one in line with the diagonal line as a frame for the door, so those would need to be mitred together which is a 135 degree angle?? Please tell me if I am making no sense! :)

must be explaning it badly lol :LOL:

what you finish up with is 45 and 90 degrees only

front face flat then each side is at 90 degrees
now at this stage imagine you have a square you want to fit into a corner you would just cut off a triangle each side these angles will be at 45 degrees and where the meet will be 90 degrees

so take 2 squares off paper make it into the shape you want then lay them long edge together you will now have a larger square with 2 corners missing
now read my description above with you paper as visual reference :D

Hmmm, explaining, another thing im no good at! LOL

As they say a picture is worth a thousand words please see photo of said cabinete:

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee231/BlundaKat/Corner cabinete/100_6302.jpg

Unfortunatly I cut it before i posted on here so its probably not quite as you explained!

Thanks for all your help so far!

EDIT: I have thought about 90 degree angles but it wouldnt fit the corner because to one side is a radiator and i need that corner to come out as far as it does because the mains electric cable is coming out of that wall. If it was a 90 degree angle the cable will not be covered up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back