corner plot and garden office advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my first post as i was tearing my hair out and thought i would get some other opinions. I live in an end terrace on a corner plot with my"back" garden at the side of the house and forward of the principal elevation but all fenced off and with 2 parking spaces at the front ( see attached NOT TO SCALE drawing as that should explain it better)

I wanted to put a home office in the garden in an area we aren't using, but after reading many planning portal documents the building would technically be forward of the actual house even though it would be behind fencing in what we consider part of the " back" garden.

Does anyone have any idea if where i am even sugesting putting the office is possible or if planning would shoot it down immediately as technically it is forward of the principal elevation even though it is contained in the main garden to the side and rear? It would be permitted development size so 2.5m high, under 30 m/sq etc.

any help or suggestions would be welcome.Be gentle,cheers in advance.
HOME OFFICE LOCATION.jpg

Sponsored Links
There is no technically about it, it is forward of the principal elevation no matter how you look at it so planning permission is required end of story. As to whether the planners look at it favourably or not it’s hard to say, if the fence is 2m and the structure is under 2.5m then arguably it will not be very visible, maybe. So I would whack an application in and then either you if you do the app yourself or your designer if you employ someone should expect to have a chat with the planners along the way to see how they are considering it and maybe have to make some subtle changes, maybe to make the roof pitched for example or move it slightly further back could be in order or whatever. Or maybe it will sail through. There is no specific guidelines that the council use that forbid building an outbuilding forward of the principal elevation subject to planning permission, there are many such plots that exist.

If any of us could say for certainty what will and will not get PP we’d be millionaires.

Cheers for that.Wasn't sure if it would be a flat out no for forward structures and not even worth submitting. We had someone from a homeoffice company come out and he suggested it wouldnt pass planning through birmingham council in that location so i think that had me unsure. There isn't a more logical place for it to go without it looking silly or as though its just dumped in the middle of the garden.It's an odd shaped layout of our house and garden so want it to fit in.it wouldnt overlook anyone else and only partly visible from road/pavement.

Sponsored Links
As he said - the only way to find out for sure is to whack an application in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back