corner trim advise

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi i want some of thoose trim peices which go on the outsidecorners eg window corners but they come in different thicknesses how do i know the right ones to pick?? my tiles are 6mm thick im not sure how thick the adhesive went on but i used a notched spreader for wall tiles. also is there any such thing as a inside corner trim that i can use on the corners of the room where thye 2 walls meet?? thanks for any advised in advance. its the first time in doing tiling in my life i have done 1 half of a wall an im happy so far hope it stay that way

Sponsored Links
The tile sits on the trim & the trim sits in the adhesive so pick a trim to suit the tile thickness. It’s not normal to use any trim on the internal wall corners but if you particularly want something then quadrant beading is the only thing I can think of; will look rather odd IMO.

so if my tile thickness is 6mm would i be ok using a 6mm edge corner strip for window area . also thanks for advise on the corners of the room i will leave them. but how do i get an even gap where 2 tiles sit on 2 walls next 2 each other??

if your tiles is 6mm you need a min 8 / 9 mm trim, depending on where you get it from.

Sponsored Links
if i took my tile with me and put it against the trim what am i looking for a flush fit or should the tile sit in the trim withe the trim a little higher than the tile or vice versa ? sorry i dont want to mess it up. also in the corners where walls meet how do create the even gap between tile on the 2 walls

if your holding them both in your hands you should see thta the trim is higher than the tile, then you know youve got the correct one

thanks jefoss. another thing im not sure about is where 2 walls meet should i tile the walls so that one walls tiles are held under the side of the other walls tiles or should i use a spacer and leave a gap not sure what the correct method is

on the first wall til up to the wall on the adjoining wall tile up to it and leave 2mm then grout / silicone in there, depending if its going to get wet or not

thanks jefoss last question now sorry about this where the tiles meet the trim should i leave a spacer gap between the tiles and trim

any particular reason why not to or does it just look better without the spacer gap

it looks better flush but if you wish to leave a gap thats down to your personal preference

thanks i should be finished soon. another thing i wernt to sure on is in the window area where should i tile first the sides, the bottom window sill or the top window sill (the one where the tiles are above my head)?

also where should i lay the first tiles touching the window side or the tile touching the trim side??

i dont know if youve read one of my post about tiling on a fake wall i think its called a stud wall. let me explain basically it was made from a wooden frame which was attached to a real wall to create a shower area, so yes it can get wet. it then originally had plasterborad nailed on the frame then it was tiled on. i say it was as i took it down to redo my tiling. im recreating it because it supported some double doors at the entrance of the shower the question i have is what would be the best thing to use to cover the wooden frame so that i can tile over it and not worry about moisure or water damege. i do need to say this the main wall near walls in shower area are not tanked. so should i get plasterboard then tile over it and it willbe ok or should i get plasterboard and tank it then tile over. i dont know much about tanking so id rather just buy a board and not have to worry about tanking. what about any other type of boards ?the moisture resistance plaster boards any good. concrete board, maybe a wooden plyboard? which would be my best option?thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back