Correct name for collar

I thought I was being slightly ironic. :D However, to be pedantic, 1 inch = 25.4mm. A 16mmm box is about 3mm deeper than an old half-inch box and those few mm make a hell of a lot of difference when you try and fit a modern, slightly deeper switch where an old, very shallow switch used to be. I wonder how many people have done just that and ended up with some very squashed insulation behind?

I particulary pity all those who have gone out and bought those flat plate chromed accessories and then tried to get them to fit flush against the old patched plaster finish of their 1920's terrace.

Sponsored Links
Dimmers esp are a PIA. My nightmare is to be asked by client, can you JUST fit this dimmer. You take off the old switch, find the box is not flush with plaster (it is proud a couple of mm), it is screwed down with size 10 CSK slotted head screw that is horribly proud, and to cap it all you discover the dimmer is just that bit too deep anyway. Yuk!!

HATE 'EM!!

Sponsored Links
sterose said:
16mm? Luxury! Round these parts some of the things are... only half-inch...

You might like to know that 1/2 inch is actually roughly equal to 16mm.

16mm is no where near 1/2 inch...it's a lot bigger!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back