Can I use surface box as flush box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm struggling to get the back box I want locally, I'm after a 6 gang flush mount for Mk grid system back box. The one that comes up does look like a surface mount box anyway, its Mk K893 but its out of stock.

Anyway I can get the very similar Mk K8893, is there any reason I cannot use this for flush mounting instead of surface?

Both back boxes are very similar and take the same grid system grid plates and both are 6/8 gang.

Just wondered if it would cause me any problems putting grid plates on on cover not fitting correctly?

I find it weird that the flush box looks like a surface box, is there a reason why its not the typical metal box type that you sink into the wall?

Is it for strength/ridgidity?

I'm putting in a 6 gang light switch by the way, thats why I want it.

Sponsored Links
You need the k893.

The k8893 will cause you problems getting the cover plate on.

Google Images mk k893, and you will find a supplier.

Dungannon Electrical Wholesalers is the first one I can see that stocks it.

You could try and see if another make of flush back box will fit your switches, if you urgently need this - but do check before installing.

I find it weird that the flush box looks like a surface box, is there a reason why its not the typical metal box type that you sink into the wall?
Is it for strength/ridgidity?
The surface boxes are bigger than the flush ones so that the plate fits instead of covering the edges.

Sponsored Links
And depending on how it's going to be wired. You could use two standard twin boxes above each other, and bush between them.

You've just got to make sure you get the spacing right. Fit the yoke to the boxes, drill & fix. Check. Done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back