Correct name for collar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to remember the name of the extension collar that is fitted between a surface mounted accessory and a flush box to increase the depth behind the accessory. Basically I have a dimmer switch that is too deep for the 1 gang switch box. I've used these extensions many years ago but for the life of me cannot remember what they are called. Looking to buy one from a wholesaler tomorrow and don't want to look a complete prat. Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Its called a hammer & chisel you lazy git......... :LOL:

Sorry never heard of them....

VLXKPSO.jpg

found this on TLC direct

Sponsored Links
The one gang type i am after looks like a 1 gang surface mounted switch box (white) with the back removed. The lugs for faceplate 3.5mm screws are still in place.
I should get by with breezers description. If not I may have to resort to il78 idea. :)

It's called a pattress extension, they are available from Wholesalers, never seen one for sale in a DIY place.

Sometimes you will hear them called Skeleton boxes.

If the box is too deep for the screws, why not simply get longer 3.5mm screws..!

FWL_Engineer said:
If the box is too deep for the screws, why not simply get longer 3.5mm screws..!

It's t'other way round FWL - box too shallow for new light switch. :LOL:

..or am I being thick now?

If the box is too shallow, then a skeleton box IS NOT what you want, this is designed to deepen a box, but for the accessory to be mounted on it still appear flush.

The best solution is to either buy a different switch, or chase a deeper box into the wall.

FWL_Engineer said:
If the box is too shallow, then a skeleton box IS NOT what you want, this is designed to deepen a box, but for the accessory to be mounted on it still appear flush.

Some dimmer switches come with their own accessory pattress extension plate/spacer/skeleton/thing for exactly this purpose. Many older installations have incredibly shallow boxes which will not accommodate a bulkier dimmer, or even the standard depth of a modern switch. The extra 5-10mm depth they provide is surely a far, far easier solution for the DIY-er than chopping out for a deeper KO box? And to the casual observer the slightly thicker switch plate is not all that obvious.

SB, don't worry about looking a prat - just go into your wholesaler and explain what you want.

ban-all-sheds said:
A pox on all sparkies who fit anything less than a 35mm box for light switches.

35mm is too deep, all known switches I have ever come across fit onto 25mm deep boxes.

I can't remember the last time I saw a 16mm one installed..yuky cr*p

FWL_Engineer said:
35mm is too deep, all known switches I have ever come across fit onto 25mm deep boxes..
Until some poor fumble-fingered DIYer wants to install a 3-gang 2-way switch and has to get 3 T/E and 3 3C+E cables in there....

FWL_Engineer said:
ban-all-sheds said:
A pox on all sparkies who fit anything less than a 35mm box for light switches.

35mm is too deep, all known switches I have ever come across fit onto 25mm deep boxes.

I can't remember the last time I saw a 16mm one installed..yuky cr*p

16mm? Luxury! Round these parts some of the things are, I swear, only half-inch jobbies. I always give value... it's the full inch or nothing! ;)

16mm? Luxury! Round these parts some of the things are... only half-inch...

You might like to know that 1/2 inch is actually roughly equal to 16mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back