Correct paint - glossing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
After a little advice
I'm just sanding down 48 spindles 4 newels and a job lot of skirting in our hall and landing. This has so far taken me several days with a quite a few days till I'll be done!

I only want to do this once so want to get the painting right!
In the past when I've glossed I've not always got the best finish and it seems to go off white / almost yellow in a year or so.

Does anyone have any advice on the best paint to use to get a good finish for this kind of job and also one that will stay brilliant white?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I am not a painter but from reading here, oil based seems to have a reputation for going yellow, water based not (less?) so

When I've used water based paint on the pasted it seemed to dry with brush strokes in it and wasn't particularly glossy

Do you want a really glossy gloss or would you prefer/accept a more satin / eggshell finish?

Sponsored Links
Its all down to technique and type of paint with water based ! Having a decent synthetic brush helps enormously too.

Water based gloss.

Attachments

• IMG_0866.JPG
    IMG_0866.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 202
The yellowing problem has been largely solved since the inital debaucle in 2011. Doesn't hurt to use off-white though.

Even modern oil based paints will eventually discolour though.
As Robbie says depends on paint and technique.
Use a decent paint such as Johnstones Aqua, maybe think about adding a bit of flowtrol too and yes a decent brush too.

Well done on the patience with the spindles, I couldn't face it and knocked all mine out and replaced them

I have only painted mine once since installation and initial painting, but I took care when choosing so they were relatively easy to sand

mine were over a hundred years old and all, all chipped and had god knows how m any layers of paint on, just couldn't face stripping them back to bare wood

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back