Correct procedure plugs and plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

To put my mind at ease is the procedure I've just followed correct.

I've dot and dab walls with concrete block behind. I'm fitting a cooker hood only 10kg its a bracket then the hood sits on the bracket 3 fixing holes. Used Fischer Nylon 10mm x 60mm plugs and worked out 12mm board plus 15mm void behind I'll need 90mm screws. Could only find 100mm x 6mm so I used those.

So I drilled a 10mm hole 100mm through the board and block and pushed the plug through the board flush with the block. Put the bracket in place levelled it up and drilled away. Stupidly I pulled the board in very slightly when tightening and its cracked a little so I reversed the drill and hand tightened them only.

Apart from the crack is this going to go anywhere? My only concern is 27mm of screw isn't in the plug as such and that's the bit holding the bracket to the wall. I suppose behind this 60mm of screw is plugged up nice and tight.

Is this how its normally done?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
I'd of put extra adhesive behind so it was solid to fix too. You could cut the section out. Fill with adhesive then use longer screws if required.

Well they are bigger fixings than most would use so I sure you'll be alright. Are you going into concrete block or a thermalite type?
If you are worried do as above or cut out a section of pd and add some ply.

Sponsored Links
One option is to fit a sheet of ply to the wall through the nearest dabs, then fix to that. But if the extra thickness is an issue or either way it should be fine how it is - you don't need to clamp it to the wall just needs to hold the weight.
A third option as above is to cut some on out and fix some ply to the wall, this can help with fragile walls such as celcon blocks (like rice crispie cakes)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back