Skirting Board Slightly Loose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a portion of long skirting board that is ever so slightly loose in the middle (cracked the caulking and pushing it closed the crack). I'm sure some folks would say just leave it and fill with more caulking, it moves like 1mm if I push in the middle to close that tiny crack.

I understand I have an option to use masonry nails (it's on an external wall) or to drill a hole through the skirting board and screw into the wall using a plug. The only thing is and this is where my ignorance / novice skills will become self evident, how will the skirting board be secured when i've had to drill a hole large enough to accommodate me tapping the plug attached to the screw through to the wall?

Thanks...

Attachments

• IMG_3339.jpg
    IMG_3339.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 187
Sponsored Links
Use a 6mm drill bit and push the plug with the screw partially in into the brick and you should find the screwhead is bigger than the hole you've drilled

Failing that you can also use a washer to sink the screwhead below the surface and then fill it in

Pull it out a bit, squirt a load of no-nails type adhesive in, then push it back to where it should be and put something really heavy there to keep it in place until it dries.

Sponsored Links
This is the stuff I’ve used to fix Skirtings , it’s really strong & doesn’t push out the Skirting like a normal Foam would , it’s about £9 a can from S-Fix and you can reuse the Can

Attachments

• 73CAFD12-E569-49DE-B485-ADD906B28DA4.png
    73CAFD12-E569-49DE-B485-ADD906B28DA4.png
    420.9 KB · Views: 207

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back