Correct size iron coupler for steel pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to use a coupler to join an existing steel pipe to copper. I have measured the diameter of the steel pipe to one and one sixteenth inch. This is confusing because the sizes of the male iron couplers that I have seen are either 22mm x 1; 28mm x 1 or 28mm x 1 1/4?

Am I missing something here? Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
That'll be wots known as 3/4" because it's measured on the inside. So its thread will be 3/4 male and the normal size equiv is 22mm.
If there's no thread you can get a big expensive fitting which compresses onto the iron.

Ah…that does make sense. Right, I have learnt something today, then! Thanks, Chris. There is a thread actually – it goes into a steel coupler which I will be removing – and I will connect the coupler to this. Just out of interest though, what is the device that you mention should a thread not be available? Is it called a Firmafit or something similar?

ChrisR said:
If there's no thread you can get a big expensive fitting which compresses onto the iron.

Looks like I am going to require one of these after all. Any idea what they are called? Is it a Primofit? I have checked the George Fischer website but the references seem to be more relevant to gas than water.

Sponsored Links
It is not a galvanised steel fitting is it? - not a good idea at all to connect galvanised to copper :rolleyes:

noonespecial said:
It is not a galvanised steel fitting is it? - not a good idea at all to connect galvanised to copper :rolleyes:

No, it's not galvanised. It's an original steelpipe fitted in a local authority property.

chrishutt said:
What happened to the thread on the end of the pipe?

Looking at the pipe in question again I now think it would be better to cut the pipe and then connect a self-tapping adaptor - this gives more scope for positioning than if I unscrew the existing coupler and use a threaded adaptor. Obviously with cutting the pipe like this there will be no thread on to which I could screw an adaptor. It is the type of self-tapping adaptor required that I am unsure. Thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back