correct trunking/conduit to install for future new wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am currently undertaking a major renovation of a 1920's bungalow, the wiring throughout the property will require replacement before we are finished but it is currently beyond affordability unfortunately.

I also need to replaster throughout which i plan to do by fixing tapered plasterboard direct to the walls/ceilings and drylining (I know skimming would be more straightforward but it is twice the price and I have had good results with dry lining in the past).

my questions are:
1. can I chase in and install trunking/conduit into the existing wall in preparation for new wiring at a later date? plasterboard would then be installed over the chase enclosing it into the wall.

2. If this is acceptable, is standard oval plastic trunking ok? for example this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/tower-oval-conduit-16mm-x-2m-white/91802

3. do I need to cement the trunking into the chase or can I just fix using pins/screws and then board over?

many thanks for reading, any advice would be most gratefully received!

Sponsored Links
What you propose is ok, but I would use 20mm oval conduit. If you cut a 45° chamfer about 5mm from the edge the conduit will be held by the back box. At the sockets use one conduit per cable and fix with clout nails, positioned so the nail head catches the edge of the conduit. Then make good with some bonding plaster or whatever you have to hand.

Have you considered using pre insulated boards? They would negate the chases, and all the wiring could be surface including the back boxes, you just remove some of the insulation to fit over the cables.

Thanks Holmslaw, I was hoping this would be the case

Presumably the rim of the hole in the back box sits within the chamfered notch? also i can use clout nails spaced regularly to hold the conduit in all the way to the top of the wall and no need to fill the chase?

great idea re the insulated boarding would save quite a bit of work, unfortunately the only insulated boarding i can find is relatively expensive compared to standard, guess it comes down to the extra cost weighed up against the saving in labour time.

EDIT just seen conduit clips available to buy, these will clearly be the best option for securing the conduit in the chase

Sponsored Links
Ok, i'll definitely make good, dont want them coming loose.

Many thanks for your advice Holmslaw, i think ive got things sorted now. Much appreciated

If you get some of these MK Masterseal conduit adapters.

MK56462.JPG

you can fit them over the end of the conduit, no cutting required, as they are squashy.

Or....

IMGP3408.jpg

disimulo.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back