Correcting 20mm Out of Plumb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

As always, nothing is straightforward...

Aiming to do some tiling this weekend, retiling a shower. Had the levels out checking things, and 1 of the 2 shower walls is out of plumb 20mm top to bottom.

Any suggestions for how to overcome this difference? Had been considering backer boards but I'd still have to pack out 20mm at the bottom somehow to keep everything plumb.

Assuming even a skim coat isn't going to make up 20mm - any ideas??!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm assuming 20mm is a bit too thick even for the thickest of adhesives

depending on the requirements, maybe tile on tile, so tile the 20mm out of plumb, let it set and then tile over it?

Sponsored Links
Does it matter if you just follow the existing wall with the tiles? Have you ever noticed the wall is out of plumb before?

My shower wall is out of plumb by about that amount and i just followed the wall with the tiles and made sure that i'd set out correctly so there was a cut tile on the adjoining wall.

Assumed it did matter and wouldn't make tiling any easier, and starting with a plumb, flat surface would be the best starting point. But maybe it doesn't matter.

Equally i'm not sure how you'd go about building out 20mm on the lower half of the wall

Powdered tile adhesive would set at 20mm thick (not the premixed bucket crap).

Some of my floor tiles are on 20mm adhesive and not been an issue in 5 years of been stood on.

As said though, does it have to be totally plumb?.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
I thought it had to be but maybe not. Any practical considerations for tiling on a wall that's not plumb up and down? Tiles will slope in as I move down the wall, in my head sounds hard to make look good and avoid them obviously looking like they slope in - maybe won't be that obvious though

Prime the wall and skim the worst areas using bagged tile adhesive, even if you get 10mm out of plumb, it will hardly be noticed, or you could fix a 12mm tilebacker board to bottom and 6mm board above that and feather with adhesive above to get plumb.

Reactions: CBW
One of the walls in our shower slopes. With the recent tiling I kept it like this - it gives more room in the shower for arms and shoulders.
It looks fine.
A dead plumb wall would look a bit wierd in this house!

What are the walls and floors constructed from, is the tray in original position and will making it plumb affect door or screen?

Could be an issue if you are trying to fit a shower screen to it? Although most do have a tolerance they can work with...

Wall is brick, and edge where shower screen will attach is pretty level, it's as you go into the corner it goes out. Probably thinking the skim worst parts with bagged tile adhesive and try to minimise it as much as I can. What would you use to prime the wall before doing this? thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back