Best solution for this problem ? Not a lot of space ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've got to totally rip out and replace everything in our en-suite. The house is only 16 years old but everything was done to such a shoddy standard its falling apart.

We've got a 760mm by 760mm corner shower at the moment. The edge of the shower enclosure is within 10mm of the edge of the window surround so anything larger than a 760mm base would be out of the question or so I thought.

Made a small hole behind the plasterboard and found there is a 160mm (minimum) void between the thermal blocks and the outside of the existing plasterboard which gives me 920mm between the wall and the edge of the existing shower.

This opens up the possibility of fitting a larger 900mm base (by 1200mm) which is what the wife wanted.

The problem is I only have 20mm to play with for lining the wall with something watertight. Initial thought was to dot and dab Aquapanel but this is a no-no.

This leaves me with possibly plastering the wall and skimming it. Another alternative is to plaster it with one-coat plaster - some people have said you can tile directly onto it.

Another option seems to be to dot and dab plasterboard then tank it.

Aquapanel is out as I'd need to mount it to a frame which would bring it all out too far to use a 900mm shower tray.

Any ideas / comment ?

Ta :)

Sponsored Links
Oh forgot to say ...

The tiles going on will probaby be the largest, heaviest, expensive, most out of square difficult to work with ones the wife can find :LOL:

I have no problem with tiling onto One coat plaster except when using.......the largest, heaviest, expensive, most out of square difficult to work with ones the wife can find :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Aquapanel is out as I'd need to mount it to a frame which would bring it all out too far to use a 900mm shower tray.

Any ideas / comment ?

Ta :)
Why cant you dot and dab the aqua panel?If normal plaserbrd adhesive is the issue use some powdered tile adhesive then fix through into blockwork.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back