Corrosion problem with radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

In the space of about 4 weeks 3 radiators in my system have developed pin-hole leaks. I believe that there is corrosion in my system & want to get an idea of what the problem could be.

I have an unvented hot water tank & I believe that the heating system is pressurised.

The rads (stelrad panel rads) that have leaked are all less than 6 years old.

I have also ordered replacement rads but was wondering if the ones that had not leaked are likely to when the system is power-flushed & would it be prudent to replace the remaining 3 panel rads in the system before the flush?

Hope that I have provided enough information to be pointed in the right direction.

Sponsored Links
You must have some serious corrosion problems if they have failed after only 6 yrs. My system is still running on rads 30+ yrs old without any issues and having had a recent chemical clean as well. I hope you get the advice you need to minimise futher problems.

You clearly have a serious problem!

Either a corrosion problem or just possibly an electrical problem.

The cause would usually be immediately obvious if corrosion.

If not then simple electrical tests would usually show whats wrong.

No point replacing rads unless the problem is solved unless you want them spoilt too.

I once had a customer who called me Monday about one rad leaking but he was too mean to get me to diagnose the fault for £84.

By Friday five rads were leaking and his tenants had moved into an hotel ( at his cost! ).

Tony

Sponsored Links
Most stelrad radiators come with a 10 year warranty so check the following link to identify which model you have and see what warranty they have.

http://ukweb.stelrad.com/uk/radiators/6/elite[/QUOTE]

Thanks - still have the Stelrad reciepts & the warranty is 10 years. However i have a feeling this will come under a system fault rather than a rad fault. But will try either way.

Most stelrad radiators come with a 10 year warranty so check the following link to identify which model you have and see what warranty they have.

Thanks - still have the Stelrad reciepts & the warranty is 10 years. However i have a feeling this will come under a system fault rather than a rad fault. But will try either way.

Very Possibly but stelrad will most likely diagnose the problem for you if it is not a manufacturing fault

Very Possibly but stelrad will most likely diagnose the problem for you if it is not a manufacturing fault

Did not think of that! Will defo send them all back.
Have spoken to Stelrad & they will refund the cost of the replacements if the fault is due to the manufacture of the rads

I'm also thinking that it sounds like the system might not have been properly protected with an inhibitor As with a system protected with inhibitor there should not really be any significant corrosion.

I'm also thinking that it sounds like the system might not have been properly protected with an inhibitor As with a system protected with inhibitor there should not really be any significant corrosion.

Even inhibitor cannot prevent corrosion if there are faults such as a depleted expansion vessel, filling valves left open or a leaking pressure release valve! Or all of them!

Perhaps your DIY plumbing book did not go into the more detailed aspects of faults.

Tony

You clearly have a serious problem!

Either a corrosion problem or just possibly an electrical problem.

The cause would usually be immediately obvious if corrosion.

If not then simple electrical tests would usually show whats wrong.

No point replacing rads unless the problem is solved unless you want them spoilt too.

I once had a customer who called me Monday about one rad leaking but he was too mean to get me to diagnose the fault for £84.

By Friday five rads were leaking and his tenants had moved into an hotel ( at his cost! ).

Tony

Tony came round & quickly found the fault which I believe was open valves of the expansion tank allowing air into the system.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back