Corruption rewarded

L

Lincsbodger

Two Jags and Sir Ian Blair are to be rewarded with Lordships.

Two Jags you may recall, was one of the most wasteful, least useful member of the Labour Ruling Incompetence. Sir Ian Blair, you may also recall, was the pompous idiot in charge of the Met, and who supervised the attempted whitewash and cover up of the police murder of Charles de Menedez.

Sponsored Links
as i said in the democracy post.... why are we, the public not consulted on these decisions? Give us the facts and let us decide if they deserve such titles in a referendum.

Look up the definition of hypocrisy, and it will tell you what a democracy were living in. ;)

I think its more the last final corrupt two fingers up at the electorate from the Departing Prime Idiot, having been ejected from power.

Sponsored Links
as i said in the democracy post.... why are we, the public not consulted on these decisions? Give us the facts and let us decide if they deserve such titles in a referendum.

Decisions like this are being taken every day. Would you want a referendum every day?

Were already financially broke so who would pay for it?
If you want to live in more democratic country then consider moving.
Just google "banana republics" and something better should come up.

Decisions like this are being taken every day. Would you want a referendum every day?

no, of course i don't want a referendum every day.... i'd like one every quarter or so.... where i tick 10 - 20 boxes relating to 10 - 20 current issues. and the governement actually make decisions wholly based on what we want. But of course, they don't have to, but the election will sort that issue.

the cost of the last election was £70 million, plus the cost of the campiagns for yes and no on each issue - say £20m each. 20 questions = £470million per quarter, £2Billion a year ?

I can think of a lot better things to spend that much money on.

Lincs, you're obviously a mathematician... but you focus on the problems and not the potential benefits...

It wouldn't need a campaign... the government are supposed to be an elite management team, they should manage this country for the benefit of the people. So an issue arises, this management team comes up with a list of viable options and puts these to a referendum. I'm not talking about finance stuff and legal stuff... but things like foxhunting, or immigration.....and things like.. do we want the Euro? Should we invade Iraq?

As for the debate, then let questiontime and the Sun pick up those costs...

It wouldn't need a campaign... the government are supposed to be an elite management team, they should manage this country for the benefit of the people.

See this is the basic dichotomy of your argument, you cant have it both ways.

Either your gonna have a referendum on every major decision, in which case you MUST have a campaign on each side of every question, explaining the benefits and snags of voting yes or no. You cannot expect people to understand the issues automatically. And to allow a vote where people may well misunderstand whats going on would be criminal.

On the other hand, you say there an elite team and should manage the country for the benefit of the people- so why do you need to micromanage them? If there an elite team, then we should trust them to just get on with it for five years, and then we'll have just one vote on how they did.

I expect the state to trust me, and not treat me as a criminal all the time. I also extend that courtesy to the government, and let them do the biz unmolested for 5 years.

It wouldn't need a campaign... the government are supposed to be an elite management team, they should manage this country for the benefit of the people.

See this is the basic dichotomy of your argument, you cant have it both ways.

Either your gonna have a referendum on every major decision, in which case you MUST have a campaign on each side of every question, explaining the benefits and snags of voting yes or no. You cannot expect people to understand the issues automatically. And to allow a vote where people may well misunderstand whats going on would be criminal.

On the other hand, you say there an elite team and should manage the country for the benefit of the people- so why do you need to micromanage them? If there an elite team, then we should trust them to just get on with it for five years, and then we'll have just one vote on how they did.

I expect the state to trust me, and not treat me as a criminal all the time. I also extend that courtesy to the government, and let them do the biz unmolested for 5 years.

Lincs, you make a good point.
And i have to admit, i haven't deeply studied my argument and it's methodology. It's more to do with wanting to feel that we have a say in things... i still think regular referendums a re a good thing... even if the results aren't mandatory for the government... there doesn't need to be much cost if they're done voluntary on the 'net.

And i think the government shouldn't be left 'to get on with it', they need to be challenged all along the way..

no, of course i don't want a referendum every day.... i'd like one every quarter or so.... where i tick 10 - 20 boxes relating to 10 - 20 current issues. and the governement actually make decisions wholly based on what we want. But of course, they don't have to, but the election will sort that issue.

The general populace are not smart enough to know the right thing to do.

The general populace are not smart enough to know the right thing to do.

that's also a very good point!!

Sponsored Links
Back