Corsa C drop links!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I went to have 2 front tyres on my corsa replaced today and they said I need to replace both my drop links and they said it would be £190.00 plus need the tracking done. Not sure if I am right but I believe I can pick a pair up for around £15 and it is a very easy job. Does this sound right the price they quoted me or where they having a laugh. Hope someone can help me on this :)

Sponsored Links
You probably say this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=corsa+drop+links&_sacat=0

But, to the best of my knowledge you don't need to do the tracking after changing these. As they only connect the anti roll bar to the suspension arm.

So they must be going to change either the bottom ball joints or the track rod ends or both. Labour cost will be high especially if the track rod ends are seized on. But just ask them what they are going to do.

Good to see that they just didn't throw the new tyre's on, as they would wear uneven and would cost you quite a bit in the long run.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
It was only the drop links they were going to change. I asked about the ball joints and track rod ends and they said they were fine. Yep saw them on EBay and good price. Can't work out how they want to charge me £190 and extra for the tracking that doesn't need doing :(

Sponsored Links
tracking dont need doing unless you tamper with the tre(track rod ends)

drop links can be removed by undoin two simple to remove nuts and replacing parts, i think the parts are cheap 10/15 quid i think.

ball joints wont need replacing unless rubber is split or they are worn out to test thisdo the following,
jack up and support car place one hand over the top of the wheel and indie wall then one hand underneath+outside side wall the wheel using push pull method to shake the wheel, wheel will be heavy so use some strength behind it, if there is movement (may feel like you are lifting the wheel and resting it again) then your ball joint is worn

track rod end
simular to above but side to side if free play is felt then tre is worn and your tracking would need doing afterwards which can cost an extra 30 quid

My daughters drop links failed the test 1 month ago it was only the rubber covers that had split, £5 apiece at the M.O.T. place if he will sell them, or £20 for a box of assorted covers for different vehicles from a motor factors.
These rubbers are a recent addition to the mot test.

Drop links often have a steel ball that swivels within a plastic socket....not really the best!
The problem is usually undoing the corroded nut as the joint shaft tends to spin. Best to have an angle grinder ready so you can slice down the edge of the nut.
John :)

Back