Cost for adding door in stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
We have a new build house 5 years ago and would like to put a door into the garage from the kitchen which is an integral garage so just a stud wall. Can anyone advise on an estimate of the cost assuming just a standard door. If I get quotes I would like and idea of the ball park figure. No electric plugs or radiator covering wall either side though.
Regards

Sponsored Links
Don't forget the door closer, fire door hinges, intumescent caulk, intumescent/brush strips and possibly a drop seal for the bottom of the door.

Without seeing the job it's a bit of a "how long is a piece of string" thing, and we don't know whereabouts in the UK you are (important because rates vary from area to area), but even assuming that the job is straightforward there is a good day's labour in it, possibly more, plus a few hundred for materials (metal or wood studding - depending on the wall, door casing, architrave sets - 2 no, fire door, fire rated hinges - 3 no, door latch set and handle set , possible mortise lock, intumescent strips, door closer, intumescent caulk, possibly mineral wool, possible drop seal, wood primer, fixings and caulk). A chippy may or may not prime the door, so you may also need to make good the plasterwork as well as prime the timber and repaint the wall and finish paint the woodwork. The threshold may also need some form of threshold strip fitting or the flooring to be made good

Why not do it yourself?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
If you start by opening up a piece on the garage side, ideally by taking a full sheet of PB out, you'll be able to see if there are any electrics in the wall. On most (but not all) new builds I've seen them run the wiring through the ceiling and drop vertically down the walls. So maybe worth taking a look before calling the cavalry. At least you'll know if a sparkle is also required

I think that is a good idea I will look from the garage side to see what is in the cavity.

I made a small hols from inside the garage, no pipes or electrics yet but seems to be a fire board between feels like wood covered in silver foil. Of course I will replacve with a fire door and frame.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back