Cost for Brick wall and steps

Sure, ok.Jeez louise you lot of touchy. :) Well if it makes you lot all any happier. Even though I thought £450 was reasonable. I'm going to up it to £500, it's not the £560 that he asked for but i think you have to cut me some slack because the quote could be read in two ways and I read it the wrong way. Obviously.

Sponsored Links
on second though I'll pay him in full. screw you guys :) making me think straight and everything.

You have done the right thing Byron. I mean that genuinely.

But learn from this as well.....a) Best not to go down the day-rate avenue, unless you are 100% certain you will be happy with how much each man gets paid and that if it takes longer thats just how it goes. Or instead, b) Get a full written price up front to include full price including all labour and materials nett of VAT and then Inc. of VAT.

The less grey area, the better you will feel knowing you know what to expect and for how much, and also the tradesmen will be in the same boat - everybody's happy!

Sponsored Links
I would have assumed it meant £140 per man-day, because that's round about the rate I'd expect.

Personally I would have been surprised to see two brickies turn up for such a small job, and that it took 5 man-days of effort, but Nige says that might be right.

I sometimes prefer paying a day rate, because it means I can sometimes be more pernickety about the way I like things done, without having a "but I priced it up for a cheap job" conversation.

2days for 2 of us @ £140 a day.
As soon as I read this I thought that was £140 per man per day

Ditto.

You’ve had a nice job done there mate. Depending on your future plans it might be in your interest to keep these builders on side as you might want to use them again in the future.

As they were on a day rate rather than job rate they could argue the toss about the extra half day each as well. Of course if they went off one afternoon to quote for another job then you’ve got fair reason to dispute it, but if they worked flat out for 2.5 days then…

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but whether it be £70 or £140 rate - it would have been wise at the end of day two when the job wasn’t finished to seek clarity on whether the extra half day was chargeable or for gratis.

Probably a bit of a lesson to be learned for you and the builder here.

Havent been on this forum in ages, laughed my socks off at this one though :rolleyes:
I have to agree with Byron that the wording was ambiguous. However, it's hard to believe that 2 brickies or 1 & 1 would do 2 days for £280, but some people believe in god, the big bang theory and that Rooney is an international player. The brickies really should have made it clearer and next time, they probably will.
Two & half days for 2 men does seem awfully slow, reasonable job though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back