Cost for Brick wall and steps

Sponsored Links
2 days for 2 men = 4 days x 140 = £560 End of conversation

That's a very one sided conclusion you have there. I'm the one who has paid him a extra £100 after all of this.

What you're saying is that I should pay £210 on top of the £350 for his failure to communicate in straight forward English?

If I had known from the start that 2 men were going to cost me £140 each per day I would have said no thanks, but yet I'm the bad guy for then paying him over and above what he quoted?

Sponsored Links
So whilst you were rubbing your hands with glee thinking you were shafting a couple of hard working blokes they were in actual fact charging you the going rate.
Ho hum.

Just because you're in the trade and you understand what:

2days for 2 of us at £140 a day

means, doesn't give you the right to judge me in thinking I'm finding joy in shafting two decent guys, because they are truly decent fella's and would recommend them ten times over. Trust me, it's painful. But I refuse to be walked over when wording changes AFTER the job.

All I ask is that the trade be completely open and honest with their pricing and I stick to my quote, we're golden.

So, why did you not question his quote when you realised that £140 for two skilled blokes seemed rather cheap?

My guess is that you did not seek clarity because you were preying on his inability to grasp simple grammar and not because of your lack of nous?

Have you ever had a quote for work before?

Anyway, the bloke has explained to you so what is your problem?

Are you not happy with the work?

Look byronsmith, I don't want to appear arsey, but I hear a lot of stories of customers holding back money on people in this current economic climate, for lots of rubbish reasons, and often simple tradesmen sometimes find it easier to just walk away. Its not fair - and don't forget, there are two side to the storey, so all though mine may be one sided, so is yours - its not generous to give them 100 extra, if you are actually in debt to them by more than that?!

This isn't the case for my business as we never work on day rates for people and get everything written down up front, and tie in contractually on any job over a couple of grand. It saves a lot of agro.

Also, i'm a brickie by trade, and I can sympathise with the guys. The weather may have been terrible, the foundations could have been crap, bricks could well have been stacked miles away or the sand you left could have been uncovered and soaking wet, they may have needed materials that were not readily available to them, - I mention these not as arguable points, but just so you realise that there are a lot of variables in this argument, not just how many bricks can some one lay. Each of the steps needed squaring and setting out, each of your pillars have 8 plumbing points, not to mention the obvious need for level, plus you have a decorative soldier course on top which again adds time and complexity to the day. These guys could quite easily banged up a couple of massive corners on site and run in 800 bricks in a day - but thats site/college conditions - totally different to laying domestically.

Please bear this in mind when deciding to hold money back, you've already taken away any chance of small profit by purchasing all of his materials - Just because there is a misunderstanding, it doesn't mean that he got it wrong, you could quite easily have misunderstood!

Also, you did ask people's opinions, this is mine, its not arguable, its how I feel about your certain circumstance. I run a professional business and like to think that I can see things well from both sides, I personally think they are due a minimum of 560, you could well argue over the final half day as he originally said 2 days, but the 560 still stands.

My concern is that he quoted.

2 days for 2 of us at £140 a day.

His wording is completely ambiguous and it is not unfair of me to think that he was working for £140 a day,

It seems clear to me that it was intended to be £140 each

Now here is the irony when you mention his ambiguity ..... look at your last sentence you have written - you actually say that it is not unfair for you to think that he (singular) is working for £140 per day.

So what about his mate?

So, why did you not question his quote when you realised that £140 for two skilled blokes seemed rather cheap?

My guess is that you did not seek clarity because you were preying on his inability to grasp simple grammar and not because of your lack of nous?

Have you ever had a quote for work before?

Anyway, the bloke has explained to you so what is your problem?

Are you not happy with the work?

I'm listening to you but you're not listening to me and honestly I don't think we'll ever agree.
Since this conversation I've decided to pay him £450 and he's accepted this and we've both agreed that this was a complete misunderstanding and it has ended amicably and for that I am grateful as I don't ever wish to burn bridges with anyone.

Thanks for your time tonight, much appreciated.

Look byronsmith, I don't want to appear arsey, but I hear a lot of stories of customers holding back money on people in this current economic climate, for lots of rubbish reasons, and often simple tradesmen sometimes find it easier to just walk away. Its not fair - and don't forget, there are two side to the storey, so all though mine may be one sided, so is yours - its not generous to give them 100 extra, if you are actually in debt to them by more than that?!

This isn't the case for my business as we never work on day rates for people and get everything written down up front, and tie in contractually on any job over a couple of grand. It saves a lot of agro.

Also, i'm a brickie by trade, and I can sympathise with the guys. The weather may have been terrible, the foundations could have been crap, bricks could well have been stacked miles away or the sand you left could have been uncovered and soaking wet, they may have needed materials that were not readily available to them, - I mention these not as arguable points, but just so you realise that there are a lot of variables in this argument, not just how many bricks can some one lay. Each of the steps needed squaring and setting out, each of your pillars have 8 plumbing points, not to mention the obvious need for level, plus you have a decorative soldier course on top which again adds time and complexity to the day. These guys could quite easily banged up a couple of massive corners on site and run in 800 bricks in a day - but thats site/college conditions - totally different to laying domestically.

Please bear this in mind when deciding to hold money back, you've already taken away any chance of small profit by purchasing all of his materials - Just because there is a misunderstanding, it doesn't mean that he got it wrong, you could quite easily have misunderstood!

Also, you did ask people's opinions, this is mine, its not arguable, its how I feel about your certain circumstance. I run a professional business and like to think that I can see things well from both sides, I personally think they are due a minimum of 560, you could well argue over the final half day as he originally said 2 days, but the 560 still stands.

Thank you mate, I appreciate everything you've said and I've contacted the him to discuss it and we have agreed a middle ground. Perhaps I was wrong to assume what was going on but then again I'm not perfect but I'm not rich either, he understands this and I'm sure deep down you guys do too.

Thanks for your contributions tonight.

I'm listening to you but you're not listening to me.
I am, but i don't think you are being genuine if you believe that two skilled men would work for £70 quid each per day.

What i think, is that you saw the quote and understood it perfectly and realised that there could be an angle.

Or........mebbe you have been out the country or in prison or beamed in from the eighties and that you have no clue about pricing?

Yeah, righto.... :rolleyes:

I glanced at that at tea time and thought £500 neat job, but I am not a bricky, but lets have this right you thought you were going to get that wall built and steps laid neatly for £280 quid !!!!!! You are taking the pi$$ I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back