Cost for Brick wall and steps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I had a quote to do two things, a brick wall and some rear steps, the price was agreed but it was a little ambiguous so I've not paid the additional and would like your opinion on how long these two jobs would take and at what cost.

Edit: it's worth noting that im not an unfair guy and depending on replies here I'll pay my fair share even if the quote was not as clear as it should be.

I provided all materials and foundations where existing. This is just labour for laying bricks and slabs.

Thanks
Byron

View media item 56699View media item 56700

Sponsored Links
Thank you, yes, I figured that out later on but wasn't sure if it would actually work so you'll probably find a request from me anyway.

Thanks though.

Sponsored Links
Nothing changed, it was as described in the quote.

A front wall, and steps with slabs.

Word for word this was his quote or rather text.

2days for 2 of us @ £140 a day.

so with that wording I've got in my head £280.

He did the whole job in 2.5 days and I paid him £350.

but he approached me afterwards and explained that it was £140 per person per day.

So I've decided to pay him and extra £100 equaling £450, which i think is fair.

Thoughts?

You owe a minimum of £560 even a numerical dyslexic can work that out.

Where did you get £450 from?

What tradesmen do you know that work for £70 per day?

As above 2 days for 2 men = 4 days x 140 = £560

But if it was a quote per day then you actually owe them another £140

Unless the 4 man days was a fixe price quote.

Another story of customer stopping play!

Just to add my quote of 'change from 500 was based on me and a labourer at 240 per day)

I'm fairly confident in my arithmetic, thank you though.

My concern is that he quoted.

2 days for 2 of us at £140 a day.

His wording is completely ambiguous and it is not unfair of me to think that he was working for £140 a day, which if we work out 2.5 days is £350.

Now if he had said.

2 days for 2 of us at @ £280 a day.

I would have politely refused his quote and continued my merry ways.

In my eyes, I don't expect 2 skilled bricklayers to build a simple wall and 2 riser steps in 2 days. perhaps 1 skilled bricky @ £150 a day with a £75 a day labourer equally £450. I think that is very fair.

Can't blame me for reading his badly worded quote.

was it one bricky and a labourer, or two brickies working slowly?

I initially thought it was 1 bricky and 1 labrorer for £140 a day.

It turns out I was supposedly paying for 2 bricky's at £140 per bricky per day.

Crazy stuff i think.

The man has since explained to you and cleared up the daily rate.

You owe a minimum of £560.

was it one bricky and a labourer, or two brickies working slowly?
With all due respect John D, how do you know how long it takes to lay bricks? Whilst the wall is not big there is a lot of faffing and it is pointed both sides.

Same with the steps.

2 days for 2 men = 4 days x 140 = £560 End of conversation

And in terms of ambiguity, just because you've misunderstood doesn't mean you should be able to hold back money. You are at fault for not obtaining a fully itemised written quote.

Again if you think they are slow, that'll teach you for getting him in on a day rate and having nothing properly contracted. Bricklaying is a skill, and to do it well takes time, you would have moaned if he did a crap job, so deal with the time factor - half a day over isn;t going to bankrupt you.

Just pay the guys the money you owe them, and chalk it up to experience.

I initially thought it was 1 bricky and 1 labrorer for £140 a day.

It turns out I was supposedly paying for 2 bricky's at £140 per bricky per day.

Crazy stuff i think.

So whilst you were rubbing your hands with glee thinking you were shafting a couple of hard working blokes they were in actual fact charging you the going rate.
Ho hum.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back