Cost of 9m x 1m extension to Victorian House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently progressing with a house purchase and am looking to install a 9m x 1m extension along the side of the house to cater for a larger kitchen/diner.

Its a late Victorian house in red Accrington brick and this will need to match. Also, the roof needs to be slate. I have seen quotes of around £1000 per m2, but does this apply to smaller jobs of 9m2 in total? Also see the note below for work that will not be required by the builder.

Note: The foundations will be laid by a groundwork's firm, that will be completing other work. Also, the electrics and plumbing will be competed at a later level when the house is rewired etc, so these do not need to be factored into the costing. The kitchen will also not need to be fitted.

Also, what are the costs of turning this into a second level?

Sponsored Links
If you want a 9m clear opening in an existing external wall then the 1k/m2 rule will go out of the window.

If you want a 9m clear opening in an existing external wall then the 1k/m2 rule will go out of the window.
Surely the OP doesn't want a 9m opening, he'd need a steel 450 deep or thereabouts and beefy masonry columns at each end. Not beyond the realms of possibility though depending on the ceiling height.

Yeah I suspect it would be closer to 20k.
Are you mad! Its only 9m2! :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Take out 9m of cavity wall and support what ever is above and build 11 meters of cavity wall and found it then probably provide large pads onder the end of the beams and as you say columns? its not gonna be cheap. its not like sticking a 3 x 3 on the back is it which would be 9K ish.

Take out 9m of cavity wall and support what ever is above and then probably provide large pads onder the end of the beams and as you say columns
And that would cost 11K then? :rolleyes:

Edit: text build 11 meters of cavity wall and found it removed from quote.

I think you've misunderstood, my post. Lets agree to surmise that a typical 9m2 extension would cost around 9K. You seem to think it will cost 20K, therefore you seem to be allowing 11K to
Take out 9m of cavity wall and support what ever is above and then probably provide large pads under the end of the beams and as you say columns
which seems somewhat overkill.

This is another pointless argument anyway, we have no idea whether the OP wants a 9m clear opening or not and he probably won't even bother to reply anyway.

You are very true and I would be very much more inclined to go with your estimate than mine (I did say I would suspect) but there does seem a lot involved for an extension (maybe thats why I never get them?)

Thanks for the replies guys. I didnt think it would be that straightforward.

I would preferable like a clear 9m opening, but would be willing to look at alternatives to keep the cost down. The length is currently split between the side of the house (approx 6M) and a single storey extension, which was built with the house of around 4m in length. Would it be easier to split it into these lengths, because I already have a lintel separating the two width wise.

I will add a photo to help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back