Cost of a suspended timber floor (ground floor)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We've had to completely remove and throw out what was currently in place on the ground floor. Due to venting, we need to put in a suspended timber floor.

Could anyone please advise how much I should expect to pay per m2 for a suspended timber floor, with chicken wire holding rockwool insulation and with a chipboard finish?

Really appreciate it

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What sort of info?

Its a semi in london

The floor is now mud, the old floor has completely been ripped out.

Floor height is about 400mm above soil level. That might be wrong.

Sponsored Links
Why a suspended timber floor? 400mm is ideal space to incorporate an insulated concrete floor and screed.

100mm stone.
50mm sand blinding layer.
DPM.
100mm concrete slab.
75mm foam board insulation.
75mm screed.

Alternatively you could position the insulation below the floor slab and have a thicker stone layer or a thicker concrete layer and have a power-floated slab whilst losing the screed layer altogether.

chipboard is certainly cheap, in every sense, but does not last well. I'm replacing mine with WBP ply as and when the rooms are redecorated/or new carpet fitted/or the number of cracks and breaks in the chipboard enrages me/or I can be bothered.

I would never inflict chipboard on myself.

Why a suspended timber floor? 400mm is ideal space to incorporate an insulated concrete floor and screed.

It is a semi that is virtually a terrace, there is absolutely no side access. There is barely a front garden.

The floor was rotten, outside the scope of works, and has got to be changed pronto as it's holding up the build. The ground floor bathroom needs to go in before Christmas.

Chipboard, whilst cheap and squeaks aside, really is inappropriate for bathrooms or kitchens. Even moisture resistant isn't very good. Any sustained damp leaking into the floor will make it swell and replacement is the only fix. And if its beneath the kitchen units ......

Chipboard, whilst cheap and squeaks aside, really is inappropriate for bathrooms or kitchens. Even moisture resistant isn't very good. Any sustained damp leaking into the floor will make it swell and replacement is the only fix. And if its beneath the kitchen units ......

What do you suggest instead?

Plywood is a much better choice, it doesn't swell when wet, so can be dried out and does not need to be replaced should something happen, we understand you're on a budget, the forum is littered with people asking how to replace chipboard floors. Sorry can't comment on prices but overall there won't be much difference. As ever three quotes will get you an accurate price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back