Cost of a tree inspection. Suffolk.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a 25 year old silver birch with a hole in the trunk from where a branch broke off some years ago.
Hole is about 3" - 4" diameter and about 6' above ground level.
Any ideas how much it would cost to get a tree surgeon out and give a report on the condition of the tree?
Bit worried it may start to rot internally, out of sight. Hole is about 3" deep and collects rainwater.
Foliage looks in good condition and plenty of it.

Sponsored Links
We did think if there was something we could fill it with, but if it's starting to rot internally, we don't want it suddenly falling over at some time in the future. We want to know it's still sound as it was a silver wedding anniversary present to my late in laws 25 years ago.

One of the firms I contacted earlier this evening have come back and offered a free advice/inspection and quote, so will see what they say when they come.

Sponsored Links
You can use expanding foam to fill the hole - i know it sounds weird but that really will work.
If you don't fancy that idea you could gather pieces of bark to pack the hole, seal it with duct tape, wrapped around the trunk, and let nature take its course. I've seen larger holes covered with metal plates and taped in place but i prefer using bark and moss for smaller holes such as the one in your birch. Keep an eye out for wood lice. The little swine will burrow into the hole and eat away at the tree!

If the hole is now 3" deep then the rot has allready started, Birch is structually a softwood and your probably looking at an expanding 4"-12" area of decayed non structural wood under the 3" hole, nothing you do now will strengthen or repair it, sadly from your reported height of the hole a tree surgeon may probably advise felling, too much top weight & 'sail'. reducing the crown weight by judicious thinning of the larger branches along with sensitive crown reduction should give more years of trouble free life, BUT, there is no guarantee, all depends on how close to any property it is & what targets are within range if it fails. BTW advice/initial ground inspection should be free. buy a new tree now & keep in a pot ready to replace.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back