Cost of an inspection?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to rewire my whole house, its currently surface mounted electrics!

My plan is to wire the whole lot, all into a new consumer unit, then have a change over day.

Whats the going rate for full test and inspection+certification for something like that? 4 bed house.

Sponsored Links
Nobody is likely to be happy to see your work at the time of completion.

You need to engage the services of an electrician now, and they may be happy for you to do all the chasing, and maybe even cable and box installation but they would need to agree all cabling routes, compliance with safe zones and everything else with the job.

This is certainly possible and I have done it this way before, but doing all the work and asking someone to certify that they did it isn't going to happen. And if someone does say they will do that, they are dodgy.

My plan is to wire the whole lot, all into a new consumer unit, then have a change over day.
Whats the going rate for full test and inspection+certification for something like that? 4 bed house.
That's not the way to do it because an electrician will need to verify that all your cables and cable runs comply and also to test, disconnections will have to be made so the work will virtually have to be done again.

Either you can employ an electrician to supervise your work throughout the procedure and connect the CU himself or...

.. you can notify the Local Authority prior to starting the work and if they deem you competent they will agree to you doing the work.

Probably, in this case the LA would work out cheaper but they may not agree.

Nobody is likely to be happy to see your work at the time of completion.

You need to engage the services of an electrician now, and they may be happy for you to do all the chasing, and maybe even cable and box installation but they would need to agree all cabling routes, compliance with safe zones and everything else with the job.

This is certainly possible and I have done it this way before, but doing all the work and asking someone to certify that they did it isn't going to happen. And if someone does say they will do that, they are dodgy.

Why are they dodgy? They test and inspect the installation, they're happy its done to current regulations and sign it off(after I've paid!). Everything will be done by the book.

Sponsored Links
But they cannot declare that they designed, installed & tested the installation.

They can possibly say they designed, and definitely tested, but not installed.

That's not the way to do it because an electrician will need to verify that all your cables and cable runs comply and also to test, disconnections will have to be made so the work will virtually have to be done again.

Either you can employ an electrician to supervise your work throughout the procedure and connect the CU himself or...

.. you can notify the Local Authority prior to starting the work and if they deem you competent they will agree to you doing the work.

Probably, in this case the LA would work out cheaper but they may not agree.

I can have floor boards up for cable runs to be inspected, nothing to hide anywhere, all work will be visible.

I've done loads of electrical stuff in the past so I'm not to worried by it.

But they cannot declare that they designed, installed & tested the installation.

They can possibly say they designed, and definitely tested, but not installed.

They don't need to say they installed it. Just that its installed according to current regulations.

In most electrical firms 80% of the people working there don't have C+G2391 to test and inspect, there's normally a bloke or two that certify other peoples work.

In most electrical firms 80% of the people working there don't have C+G2391 to test and inspect, there's normally a bloke or two that certify other peoples work.
Even that is not ideal but they know and trust the workmen.

We are just telling you how it works and what the law demands.

OK, do it your way. But others with experience, and professionals, are telling you that what you are proposing is not going to be acceptable.

Part of certifying a new installation is saying that you designed, installed and tested the installation. No professional who's career depends on it will sign this off for you. They may check every step of what you are doing and allow it, but that's the best you can expect.

Even that is not ideal but they know and trust the workmen.

We are just telling you how it works and what the law demands.

Its not ideal, in an ideal world every one would be fully 'spammed' up and overly qualified but its not how it works, its very very common practice.

I've actually got 16th edition, 2391, some part p stuff from an old job a few years ago where it was thought it might be useful to have them so I should be able to convince anyone that i'm fairly competent. I can show all maths for cable lengths, intended loads-current draw etc.

I understand what you're saying, its just what I want to do, happy to pay the going rate for a full test and inspection, just need to know roughly what it is now days?

You could have told us that before.

In that case the LA will probably let you do it and then they will issue a Certificate of Completion.

Their charges vary between £200 to £400 depending on where you live.

You could have told us that before.

In that case the LA will probably let you do it and then they will issue a Certificate of Completion.

Their charges vary between £200 to £400 depending on where you live.

Thanks, no one asked about my experience :D

Nice farmhouse you have got yourself, I wish I could get something like that

Nice farmhouse you have got yourself, I wish I could get something like that

Thanks, bit of a dream buy for my family however I've a list as long as your arm to sort out and can't afford to do it all at once!

You could have told us that before. In that case the LA will probably let you do it and then they will issue a Certificate of Completion.
Thanks, no one asked about my experience :D
In view of what you've now revealed, could you not do the inspection and testing yourself? - you can always hire the necessary kit for a day if you don't have it.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back