Cost of installing mid-height shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my partner and I have put down a deposit on a shared ownership affordable property.

Strangely, the bath will only come with a mixer tap shower, not a proper mid-height shower.

I have asked the housing association if it is possible we could have one installed now as the property is still being built. They have come back and said I would need to pay, within 24 hours, an additional £329 for this.

The details of the work are as follows...
Supply & install an Aqualisa Midas 200 Shower with a riser rail kit which will be isolated back in the airing cupboard as a separate feed - £329.00

Does this cost sound about right? It is obviously quite a lot to pay up on a house we have not even seen yet. We already had to pay a £250 non-refundable deposit.

This is what I am looking to achieve (the bit in red) as I have back problems, and will struggle using the lower, hair washing shower.
Photo%2013-04-2017%2016%2007%2048_zpsoiij1jw2.jpg

Sponsored Links
Given the shower is around the £250 mark, then it does not seem like a bad price.
Agreed...my only concern is that I must pay this £329 as a non-refundable price, on top of my 250 non-refundable deposit.

We have not even seen the place yet as it is not yet built.
Is it better, to wait until I can see it and pay to have it done after by a plumber or would I be looking at a cost well above £329 once the bathroom is fully fitted?

Well of course it's non-refundable, if you pull out and the work has been done who is going to pay for it?! Another potential buyer may not be fussed with it being there or not.

The price seems fine, and separate isolation is a very good idea. You are going to get a top of the range shower for that money, which you would not regret.

Sponsored Links
Well of course it's non-refundable, if you pull out and the work has been done who is going to pay for it?! Another potential buyer may not be fussed with it being there or not.

The price seems fine, and separate isolation is a very good idea. You are going to get a top of the range shower for that money, which you would not regret.

I am sure it will do the job nicely. My question is... would it cost much more than £329 to get someone in after to install it? Then we don't need to risk more of our money now, on a property we have not yet seen.

I am sure it will do the job nicely. My question is... would it cost much more than £329 to get someone in after to install it? Then we don't need to risk more of our money now, on a property we have not yet seen.

Tiling may need to be removed, pipework run in once the cavity wall has been closed up (Or worse it's blockwork and needs chasing in), and generally retro-fitting is a bit of a faf so takes more time.

Tiling may need to be removed, pipework run in once the cavity wall has been closed up (Or worse it's blockwork and needs chasing in), and generally retro-fitting is a bit of a faf so takes more time.
So a bit of work, but nothing that should cost more than £500 all in roughly?

So a bit of work, but nothing that should cost more than £500 all in roughly?

Likely not, tiles could be removed and new ones fitted if damaged (As it's a new property), and pipework run down under bath and connected where the taps are fed.

Likely not, tiles could be removed and new ones fitted if damaged (As it's a new property), and pipework run down under bath and connected where the taps are fed.

Ok thanks, that is good to know.
Sounds like they are proposing to do a proper job and run this shower on a separate feed to the airing cupboard. I guess that would be hard to achieve once the place is built as flooring will be down and airing cupboard is across the hall in another bedroom so would be difficult to do after. It no doubt a good price for the work, juts need to weigh up if it is worth a gamble on somewhere we have not yet seen.

Thanks.

To have paid such a small deposit on a property is actually amazing IMO, I'd have expected at least £2000 to secure purchasing rights once built!

To have paid such a small deposit on a property is actually amazing IMO, I'd have expected at least £2000 to secure purchasing rights once built!
It is not a bad deposit, but these are shared ownership properties aimed at those who cannot afford full market properties. This one is a £340k house so quite a lot of money to be getting a mortgage for. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back