Cost of making a doorway in the solid wall(LB)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello prestigious experts and keen DIYers..

I have been quoted £450 for making a door into the solid wall , this is just a labor cost. I find it little too much, although the wall is solid wall and load-bearing.. Is this right cost or I am being ripped off ? thanks for all your advice in advance.

Sponsored Links
what does the cost include?
Just cutting the hole and fitting a lintel? Or making good brickwork either side outside? making good plasterwork inside? Fitting the new door? Fitting the door furniture? Fitting architrave? A threshold?

Does it include waste disposal and all making good?

£450 will buy you a couple of days labour from a tradesman with his own van and tools etc and mebbe a skivvy boy thrown in.

It would prolly buy you three days if the guy just turns up and uses your kit etc. Like when a bricky turns up with a level and a trowel but uses your mixer and barrow, for instance.

Have you had other quotes to compare?

We would get most of the work knocked off in a day, in a 'best case' scenario.

You aren't talking about an external cavity wall surely?

£450 would be a bargain!

Sponsored Links
what does the cost include?
Just cutting the hole and fitting a lintel? Or making good brickwork either side outside? making good plasterwork inside? Fitting the new door? Fitting the door furniture? Fitting architrave? A threshold?

This is for making a hole and fitting a door in, but purely labor, I would expect him to finish the nice job with plaster etc.. is that cost sounds enough?

Does it include waste disposal and all making good?

£450 will buy you a couple of days labour from a tradesman with his own van and tools etc and mebbe a skivvy boy thrown in.

It would prolly buy you three days if the guy just turns up and uses your kit etc. Like when a bricky turns up with a level and a trowel but uses your mixer and barrow, for instance.

Have you had other quotes to compare?

We would get most of the work knocked off in a day, in a 'best case' scenario.

The funny bit is this tradesman seems a 'dodgy guy', he dont drive lol that makes me more nervous and no this is my first quote, i am going to get few more to have a peace of mind.

A solid 9" thick wall then!

So he's contracted to install the lintels, knock out, remove spoil, fix the casing and hang the door all for £450?

What do you think tradespeople get paid these days? Tuppence ha'penny an hour?

A solid 9" thick wall then!

So he's contracted to install the lintels, knock out, remove spoil, fix the casing and hang the door all for £450?

What do you think tradespeople get paid these days? Tuppence ha'penny an hour?

I am no expert and would have no issues paying him what he deserve, at eod we all work for money.. but from what he was saying he will cut out the wall and place a door frame, he did not elaborate on any of the plastering bits etc.. so I am bit confused but I would definitely check with him on this..

OK thanks everyone for heads up, so 450 for the following seems fair enough, if i can get him to agree all of this

1> fitting lintel
2> removing the wall
3> plaster work/skimming wall
4> fit the door frame / door
5> tidy up and make smooth flooring

OK thanks everyone for heads up, so 450 for the following seems fair enough, if i can get him to agree all of this

1> fitting lintel
2> removing the wall
3> plaster work/skimming wall
4> fit the door frame / door
5> tidy up and make smooth flooring
Now we're talking. ;)

Never trust a tradesman that turns up in a car. :p

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back