Upstairs solid wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I want to change the doorway for the bathroom 90deg round the same solid wall.

In the loft I have located where this wall is to try and indenting whether it is load bearing.

Where the door way is now the joists run perpendicular to the wall and the wall I want to move to has a joist right on top in same direction. However the ceiling has be boarded and then the wall has been built up to the plasterboard which makes me wonder whether it's load bearing?

Sponsored Links
I dont fully understand your post but just so long as you are not removing a wall then opening up for a new doorway should be fine.

Remember to install a lintel above the new opening.

If you have any doubts then use two acrow props and a couple of plates to support the ceiling joists while you open up below.

Yes old doorway will be blocked up. Then the new door will be cut into the wall.

Would the wall be load bearing if there is plasterboard in between top of the bricks and joist?

Would the wall be load bearing if there is plasterboard in between top of the bricks and joist?

Unlikely; but it is unusual to build a wall in brickwork if it is not supporting something. If it's not supporting anything, then it will not be restrained at the top and there is a risk you will cause more damage if you don''t cut the opening slowly and carefully.

Sponsored Links
The house is a privately built 3bed house and all dividing walls are brick upstairs.

Does anyone have advice when it comes to lintels? And building control?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back