Cellular Partition

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it load bearing?

Want to alter a wall made of this, but not sure if it is load bearing at all. If I remove it, will it affect the ceiling?

I guess the ceiling is supported by the external walls and hangers in the loft. All my internal walls upstairs are dry wall or cellular, no solid walls at all.

Want to fit bigger bath in: this is what is under one end of the bath (the other is on a solid wall).

UnderBath.jpg

Trouble is, to the plasterboard behind the wastepipe is 1800, so need to extend the wall onto the landing, I think...

Also want to move the door:

Inside bathroom:

Insidebathroom.jpg

Outside bathroom:

Outsidebathroom.jpg

The sink is coming out, the doorway to replace it. A shower is going where the door is at the mo.

If I alter this wall, will it cause any structural issues?

Thanks guys.

Sponsored Links
Couldn't you check the tops of the walls, in the loft?
If you can see the tops of the walls, you'll be able to answer your own questions.

Normally the studwork would be built and then the ceiling boarded so the ceiling pb will be affected, but it'll be a case of patching and making good.

The loft is boarded but I'll go up tomorrow & see what I can see.

Thanks for your help.

If there is nothing built above the wall, it could still be supporting the ceiling joists, whether they simply sail right over the top of the wall, or are jointed on top of the wall.

If they sail right over in one piece, I'd have thought that moving that support 300 -500mm further towards one end would have no great detrimental effect. You could note the size of the ceiling joists and consult the timber tables (or ask on here) to see if the spans are still within range.
And build the new support before removing the old one.

If the ceiling joists are jointed on top of the wall, you'll need to re-consider and/or ask on here. Maybe it's into SE territory.

Sponsored Links
Normally the studwork would be built and then the ceiling boarded so the ceiling pb will be affected, but it'll be a case of patching and making good.
Depends, I used to plasterboards the whole ceiling then false stud walls below it but depending on the layout

securespark, is it a cupboard behind the bath in the hall area, if so, you maybe able to take a small section out of the small ceiling to investigate or carefully poke a thin screwdriver though for location, keep an eye on pipe/cable if any above

Hi mason, long time no speak...hope you are well!

HNY and all that...

The plasterboard you see under the bath is the divider between the bathroom and the landing.

In the picture, the bath is on the other side of the plasterboard behind the bookcase.

I could build out the wall and lose a fraction of landing and the bookcase would not encroach because it is in an alcove.

The only thing is, somewhere up in the loft is a water tank, so something must be holding that lot up..... I'm off swimming with the boys now. When I get back, I'll have a gander in the loft and let you know my findings.

Thanks.

OK. Have now taken a couple snaps.

The first one is of the bathroom/landing dividing wall, looking down from the loft.

The second is a shot of part of the loft, giving you an idea of the construction of the roof.

I have consulted my book of construction techniques and it seems my roof construction is not in there, or rather it is, but it looks like an amalgamation of several techniques.

In the first shot, you see a timber across the picture. That's a binder running the full length of the loft, from front to back, one of several. There are purlins, too and a ridge board. My book illustration of a double roof is similar to what I've got, but in their picture, the binder is supported by a load-bearing (solid) wall.

CellularWall.jpg

My roof also has several A frame supporting structures in the loft, which don't appear in any of the illustrations in the book.

RoofConstruction.jpg

Are these cellular walls load-bearing or not?

Coupla other questions....

Don't need planning permission for this work, do I?

Other query...with this cellular partition being around 3" thick, can a new partition be built to match this, or is that contrary to building regs?

HNY!!

What's the gap between the plasterboards, look like egg-box type ?

Similar.

Here's a piccy of a section of the filling of the plasterboard sandwich:

001.jpg

Look back at the picture looking down on the wall in the loft: those holes in the carboard squares are what you see.

Ahh! not seem them for a long time, called Paramount dry partition and some of them are called honeycomb partition mostly for office/banks room dividers.

dry_partition_wall.jpg

Plasterboard panels (Paramount partitioning) are slotted over timber framework. The panels consist of two wallboards bonded to a cellular core of resin-impregnated card. The timber uprights are likely to be about 3ft (910mm) or 4ft (1 .2m) apart and about lin (38mm) wide. The wall is 2in-2in (50-65mm) thick, lightweight and non-load-bearing.

More details here which will answer your question> http://www.insulationireland.net/hollow_walls.htm

Thanks mason!

Although my partition is 3" thick. Can I fill in the existing door opening to that thickness and comply with building regs with regard to insulation etc..??

You're only doing it for generic internal alterations and the door is less than 3" ;) I'm not clued up on the latest building regs and generally speaking taking down the non load bearing wall will not require regs but might have some effect on the difference layout or in the stairs area therefore a possibility fire regs kicked in. However you're not doing an open plan, might be an idea to ask in the building regs forum for confirmation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back