replacing partition walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello!

As Mentioned in other posts - our recently purchased 1970s house is about to be sprayed for woodworm.

We are using this as an opportunity to do a load of other tasks to neaten the place up and make it our home.

So - some of the partitioning walls we have downstairs are proper grubby. By that, I mean cracked, warped (horizontally - not vertically), are riddled with holes from previous electrical/heating installations and are sitting on rotten (but now totally dry) floorboards from previous bouts of damp (from before we lived there).

The walls are about 3" thick - and made from plasterboard that sandwiches a cellular cardboard filling and has had battens driven in from below to nail the skirtings to. There are no studs at all - and mice have managed to find their way to the rest of the house using the cardboard cells as stepping stones. A bit like a real-life snakes and ladders!

I think that the amount of work involved to slide out and replace floor boards, fill the inner mouse-runs, fill the other holes, neaten the warped sections and rip out and replace the (worm-infested) skirting batons will make pulling it down and rebuilding a new, tannelised, plaster boarded stud wall the better option.

Given the fact that it's basically a paper and plasterboard wall with no solid structure from studs - is there any chance that this could be a load bearing wall, requiring some additional support whilst I rebuild it?

one of the walls actually runs parallel with the joists - I am actually thinking of not replacing this wall - as its between a room formally used as a study/bedroom and a piece of no-mans land to that used to be a bathroom - and is now a kind of hall-way.

In short - I wonder if there is any chance that a cardboard and plaster wall could be load-bearing and if in the pro’s mind - it's a good idea to replace such a wall with a neater, stronger & pest resistant equivalent - whilst the house is relatively empty and upside down for other reasons anyway?

Thx - Whitling2k

Sponsored Links
Thanks Blagard - useful little doc that one.

I have done a bit more digging - and found there are some wooden studs - they are quite small - say 30 * 30 mm, and spaced 3 foot apart (centre to centre).

The studs coincide exactly with the edge of the sheets of plasterboard- of which there are 3 in the entire length of wall.

My (unqualified!) view is that an 11 foot long wall would need more than 3 30mm studs if it were load bearing in any way - even partially load bearing.

I have attached a photo showing the setup of the wall and my exploratory hole!

Does this wall still look like one of those 60s/70s partition walls, and would I need ceiling supports whilst I reconstruct it?

Do you think i't would be safe to remove one from a different part of the room?

Thanks - whitling2k

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back