Cost of Periodic Inspection Report

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi just moved into a victorian semi (circa 1900), 4 bedrooms over 3 floors plus basement.

I am wanting to get a periodic inspection report done so we can plan for eventually getting everything up to scratch - plus allowing provision for a future extension and garden/garage electrics.

Just wondering how you would normally charge for this - fixed fee or on a time basis, and any rough indication of likely costs.

Thanks for your time

Andy

Sponsored Links
/get on the phone to three or four local small firms, prices vary so much from region to region and only people from your exact area would be able to give you prices.

Hi just moved into a victorian semi (circa 1900), 4 bedrooms over 3 floors plus basement.

I am wanting to get a periodic inspection report done so we can plan for eventually getting everything up to scratch - plus allowing provision for a future extension and garden/garage electrics.

Just wondering how you would normally charge for this - fixed fee or on a time basis, and any rough indication of likely costs.

Thanks for your time

Andy

To do a proper PIR on a property of your size you are talking about six hours on site and a couple of hours of admin afterwards. It will however depend on the number of circuits you have on your Consumer Unit and their complexity.

As stated prices do vary and it does depend how competive firms are - many will use it as a loss leader - charging maybe £80 for the first six circuits and then £20 for each subsequent one.

Obtain at least three quotes and make sure you are comparing like with like. Reputable firms will have no problem in detailing exactly what they will check and test as part of the PIR.

This site is useful:
http://www.whatprice.co.uk/prices/electrician/periodic-electrical-inspection-incl-certificate.html

Sponsored Links
Beware of getting as cheap PIR or drive by or long lead test as it is known, a proper PIR does take time - possibly a minimum of half a day on site and an hour for the paperwork, the price should reflect this.
£150 might be a good start £50 would not be.

I've seen quite a few PIRs and very few bear any relationship to the installation I see before me I'm afraid. It is common for things to get missed (even the glaringly obvious) and for things to get invented.

Caveat Emptor or whatever the French say.

One thing that might help possibly - tell the firm quoting fo a PIR that you just want a PIR no remedials from them, if there are remedials they will be done independantly, all you want is an accurate PIR

It is a days work plus for that size of property in the price small rectifications would be included if they could be done in the same day at the end of testing. (e.g. odd cracked socket or broken conductor on a ring) plus labels for the c/u and a plan of the electrics

Then there is the report to write. Which would take another hour.

People quoting less are either undervaluing their time or possibly cutting corners, ither way you have to question their judgement, don't you.

Martin

Yes that size of house is large , my comments were on a bog standard 2 or 3 bed over two floors plus kitchen

People quoting less are either undervaluing their time or possibly cutting corners, either way you have to question their judgement, don't you.

Martin

That's a little harsh Martin. The reality is that you have to price yourself against the competitors in your local area. When several of the major electrical players are quoting sub £90 for 3/4 Bedroom PIR's its very difficult to charge a price that truly reflects the amount of your time employed on such a job if you want to work.

When competition for work is so high the laws of economic supply and demand apply and prices will fall to reflect an over supply - that is the capalist socieity we live in. But that doesn't mean that the one man band is undervaluing his time or cutting any corners - indeed it is in his best interest to overspend his time (he may not be doing any other work at the time) and do a more than thorough job (i.e. increase his sample size) to demonstrate to the client the quality and thoroughness of his work.

I think Martins got it about right in what he says.
OK some might do a "loss leader" now and again but you can't sustain that forever

I think Martins got it about right in what he says.
OK some might do a "loss leader" now and again but you can't sustain that forever

I never mentioned a loss leader but if I don't monitor and keep up with the prices of the local competition then I will no longer be in business. Better to be earning £90 for a days work than not earning £180. ;)
In business you ignore the laws of supply and demand (and profit and loss) at your peril.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back