Cost of radiators

G

Goldspoon

Having some problems trying to work out the various radiators and prices for sale by different suppliers.

As an example I need to buy a double rad 700mm X 1200mm. Look in Screwfix catalogue and highest is 600mm (no 700mm for sale) at £65 inc. VAT.

So I look in the Plumb Center catalogue and find a Stelrad Compact 700x1200 double at a staggering £244.83. I know I can get 30% off the "trade" price but that's still £170. A huge jump of £105 for 10cm of height.

Also in Plumb Center catalogue is a Stelrad Softline at £186.07 but am told by staff discount is less and anyway they don't have any in (forgot to ask about how much discount).

Then there's a range of Myson in this catalogue... but all at prices screaming above £200.

Am I looking in the right places and is there somewhere I can get 700mm rads at somewhere a little closer to the 600mm Plumbfix prices... considering the difference is just 10cm X 120cm of metal.

Sponsored Links
Fair point. However... if a radiator looks good and gets hot and does not rust due to inhibitor... What does a quality radiator provide your average home with that a Screwfix one does not?

Note that I am not questioning what you said but some expansion of your point would be gratefully received.

well im not aware of screwfix stuff in depth but you should compare heat outputs.. a stelrad will wack out more heat from less area(smaller rad) they also have a decent warranty but tbh i dony know what it is currently.

Sponsored Links
You would be as wise to go on line to toolstation or b@q home base any of these offer good value for money depends what area you are in but they deliver good ey :)

B&q and screwfix stock Kudos rads. Nice quality I have one in my living room but the sizes from stock are limited. So I bought a Stelrad compact P+ (two panel one convector (nice and slim)) because the metal work matches the look of the Kudos. excelent quality rad. BTW BSS now have there own range. They seem a bit cheaper and are made by a top manufacturer (can't remember who). From what I have seen the heat outputs vary little between manufacturers (as long as you compare like for like).
PS the Kudos rads are available in much larger sizes than B&q and screwfix stock.
PPS If you go to a trade counter Don't pay the list price. ;)

rad prices are also based on turnover from merchants, i priced a rad for my mum he other day at Grahams, 600 x 1100 k2, £95 plus VAT, decided a 600 x 1200 would be better so went back and got a price of £66, questioned why the larger rad was cheaper and was told they sell hundreds more of the 1200 so they would give me a bigger discount, not complaining but seems weird

Plumbcentre /pts stelrad softline 600 /1200 P+ just under 70 quid plus vat .

Every rad of one make and model should have the same discount no matter what size

if tey have to order a rad in as it uncommon size it must take more time/paperwork/cost than one which is on the shelf perhaps that is why,

Nope they get deliveries from stelrad every week. and its no harder to deliver one rad to another
No matter what size rad from PC OR PTS exactly same discount is applied to that make.
With stock levels in merchants being cut to bone half the rads are ordered in each week in our local branches

Nope they get deliveries from stelrad every week. and its no harder to deliver one rad to another
No matter what size rad from PC OR PTS exactly same discount is applied to that make.
With stock levels in merchants being cut to bone half the rads are ordered in each week in our local branches

Here, Here,
Why call them stockists when they stock Bugg£r all and keep there money in the bank and make people wait. BSS one delivery a week from Stellrad. I could cycle to the factory in that time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back