Cost of Unvented Cylinder and System Boiler Installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I am very familiar with the "length of string" adage but was wondering if the following would allow someone to provide a fairly firm indication on the cost of installation. I think I've covered off the appropriate variables:

- I've selected a location for the cylinder and boiler
- This has the F&R pipes there awaiting connection
- All rads are connected up
- It has a gas supply
- It has water mains supply
- It is next to an external wall for flue purposes
- there is provision for electricity

I am happy to discuss brands but to keep things simple, I can pay for materials. Given the above, how much should it cost to install the cylinder and boiler in your opinion.

I am located north of London in Buckinghamshire.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Well you have given no information at all on distances of water and gas and electricity.

Who fitted the rads and how was the pipework tested?

Not many engineers will be very happy fitting things that you have supplied!

If I were to agree to fit what you bought then my over the phone prices are £840 for fitting boiler and £460 for fitting an unvented cylinder.

But those are starting prices for usually replacing old ones and without all the extras some people want.

Tony

Hi Agile,

What do you mean by distance of water and gas? The water mains pipe is in the required location as is the gas and F&R.
I plumbed in F&R using a combination of 22mm Copper and 10mm plastic. I used HEP pushfits for all joints. The rads are not on yet. I was planning to commission new system with the radiator pipes capped off. Run for a few weeks and once we are happy, we can have the wall chases made good and the radiators hung. Does that sound sensible?

Sponsored Links
"How long" means the length measured in meters or millimetres!

So what size is the gas pipe and HOW LONG is it? Thats from gas meter to the boiler position?

Who fitted it?

How do you know that it will be suitable for an unspecified boiler?

Tony

You may not realise why but these things are important!

Tony

Last edited:
The gas pipe measures around 8 metres from where it tees off at the garage and arrives at the site of the proposed boiler and cylinder installation. It is 22mm in diameter. This was fitted by a gas engineer and selected based on his advice.

5 - 7k including materials, very roughly, and possibly more.
but to keep things simple, I can pay for materials

If you mean buy the materials then it can cause a number of issues.

Thanks Denso. Do you mind me asking approximately how much elapsed time the installation would take given that all the services are in situ? e.g. F&R, Gas, Water and Electricity.

Based on the information given so far, somewhere between one day and one week I should think. Drilling the hole for the flue could take an hour or a day depending on how your walls are constructed, we don't know how far the flue has to run either. Same for the pressure relief pipes. Do you want the installer to do the wiring? What control system do you want? Complex ones could be another day's work...

Last edited:
Help me out here please guys, my research would suggest that a system boiler and unvented cylinder come to around 2k. Lets say that the expansion vessel and any additional parts add on an extra £500. If all the services are there in situ, why would an installation take more than 3 days at a maximum and if we assume a day rate of £200, this comes to around £600 labour.

I don't mean to upset or offend anyone on here but since it's a DIY forum I would like to understand the mechanics of this job and what the costs comprise of. I've seen existing boilers (albeit combis) being removed and replaced within a matter of a few hours. Presumably this will be even quicker as there is nothing to decommission.

Again, I am genuinely trying to understand this situation and would appreciate your help with this.

This is going downhill fast. Get three quotes from local installers and go from there.

Or would you be happier if i changed my guesstimate to 3K?

No. Didn't want you to say that either :)
Would be much more helpful if you said, here are the n things I am missing from my assumptions. This info will help me with deciphering the quotes

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back