cost of upstairs rewire?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone give me a ball park figure for a rewire please? Downstairs has already been done as part of fitting new kitchen and living room refurbishment. Would require four new double sockets fitted in new positions and three existing renewed and rewired. Three bedrooms, landing and bathroom + shower. Also the consumer unit fitted for the Kitchen has all five positions used. So would that need to be replaced with a larger one or just a small new one for upstairs only? I'm not sure if it would be against regulations to have two.

Sponsored Links
images
OR
upload_2016-2-27_15-35-15.jpeg

Its more like the second picture lol. Seriously though its an old concrete ex council semi detached with concrete walls. Is that enough info? As stated in the op it's three bedrooms one bathroom and landing.

Can anyone give me a ball park figure for a rewire please?
An electrician who can go and see the job.

Why not the one who did the work downstairs, assuming he was OK?

Also the consumer unit fitted for the Kitchen has all five positions used.
Did you not know that you'd want the upstairs done as well? Having a larger CU at the time would have cost very little extra - the difference would have been a great deal less than it's now going to cost you to either replace it or have a 2nd one.

So would that need to be replaced with a larger one or just a small new one for upstairs only? I'm not sure if it would be against regulations to have two.
Either is OK.

Sponsored Links
Can anyone give me a ball park figure for a rewire please?
An electrician who can go and see the job.

Why not the one who did the work downstairs, assuming he was OK?

Also the consumer unit fitted for the Kitchen has all five positions used.
Did you not know that you'd want the upstairs done as well? Having a larger CU at the time would have cost very little extra - the difference would have been a great deal less than it's now going to cost you to either replace it or have a 2nd one.

So would that need to be replaced with a larger one or just a small new one for upstairs only? I'm not sure if it would be against regulations to have two.
Either is OK.
Thanks for your reply. Yes I wish I had got him to fit a larger unit. Stupidity on my part rather than his. I guess I was trying to keep the cost of the new kitchen install down as it was costing us an arm and a leg already. Not something we have done every week so its a case of live and learn. As for getting the original electrician, we could do as he was OK. Was thinking of getting other quotes though as he was pricey for the second job (living room) but we were in a hurry to get it done. Cost us more to get the living room done than the kitchen which was a lot more work. I suppose it could have been that he had plenty of work at the time so could afford to quote high.

Why not send loads of photographs?

Might be able to guess then.

If the inside walls REALLY are concrete, there may be conduits to re-use.

Thanks for your replies. Yes I will get three quotes. I didn't think I would get much of a response regarding a price I was mainly wanting to know if it would require a replacement consumer unit which was answered up thread. I did ask the lecky when he did the living room and he said he would want to replace the existing one, which he fitted when he did the kitchen, with a larger one. I just wondered why that was necessary.

I just wondered why that was necessary.
If left alone, electrical installations do not need updating to keep up with changes in wiring regulations. Any new work however ( like the kitchen wiring and your rewire) must meet let current standards and this means that a new consumer unit is often a requirement.
If you had a new CU in the last year or two then it may meet the new regs, or it may just need some work to bring it up to date.

You will need a new Metal consumer unit now, after Jan 2016, Amendment 3, replacing the plastic one you had before.

You will need a new Metal consumer unit now, after Jan 2016, Amendment 3, replacing the plastic one you had before.
Not if he has a separate CU installed for upstairs and doesn't touch the existing one. Plus the one he has is full, so if he wanted to use it, it would need replacing anyway

2 double sockets for each bedroom and one on the landing is not enough. Don't make the same mistake again that you made with the CU.

Not if he has a separate CU installed for upstairs and doesn't touch the existing one. Plus the one he has is full, so if he wanted to use it, it would need replacing anyway
... but surely if he "has a new CU installed for upstairs", that one will have to be Amd3 compliant (although the current one can stay as is)?

Kind Regards, John

... but surely if he "has a new CU installed for upstairs", that one will have to be Amd3 compliant (although the current one can stay as is)?

Kind Regards, John
Of course. I was commenting on the 'replacing the plastic one you had before' statement. Not necessary if he has a second CU.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back