Cost to fit new Radiator only

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My neighbour had a leaking radiator, which I've now removed and isolated. The problem is the rad was imperial size and the new one is metric, plus new TR valve and lock shield fitting to rad are smaller than the old ones.
How much should it cost to fit the new rad and adjust the pipe work, as the pipe come out of the floor.
I would offer to do this free, but I'm only a DIYer and don't have to much free time.

Sponsored Links
Sealed or gravity?
What size rad?
What location in the property?
What location in the UK?

1. If the new one is narrower than the old, you can get and fit one or more extension pieces to one or both sides. E.g. Screwfix 599HF. Don't be tempted by the sliding extensions, they have a habit of leaking. Go for rigid one(s) and cut to length.
2. If the new one is wider than the old you will have pipework to alter.
3. If the new one has pipe centres further from, or nearer to, the wall you will have pipework alterations anyway.
4. The old valves were probably union fittings. The new ones will almost certainly be compression fittings. The new one will come with new tails, so you will have to remove the old tails, using a special spanner (e.g. Screwfix 11467) and screw in the new ones with some PTE tape or similar.
5. Costs, or rather timings?
5a. If a system drain down is required I'd budget on 45 minutes to drain, and at least an hour to refill and bleed. Or freeze the pipes with an electric freezer - 20 minutes.
5b. If just fitting extension(s) and new valves (no pipework alterations) between 30 and 60 minutes depending on how stubborn the old tails are.
5c. If also making pipework alterations, totally dependent on how the pipes are run and accessibility. If enough play in the existing pipes and the customer is prepared to accept slightly off vertical pipes or bends / fittings on show, 30 to 60 minutes. If floorboards are to be lifted, pipework altered below floor and new holes drilled for pipes in new locations, 1 to 4 hours depending on what you find under the floor. Any carpet / lino to be put back, but not to carpet fitting standards.
5d. Best case - say an hour.
5e. Worst case - six hours.
5f. At outer London prices between £80 and £500. Plus VAT plus parts

Sponsored Links
Hanging brackets not likely to be in the same position either so depending on wall construction could lengthen fitting time.

1. If the new one is narrower than the old, you can get and fit one or more extension pieces to one or both sides. E.g. Screwfix 599HF. Don't be tempted by the sliding extensions, they have a habit of leaking. Go for rigid one(s) and cut to length.
2. If the new one is wider than the old you will have pipework to alter.
3. If the new one has pipe centres further from, or nearer to, the wall you will have pipework alterations anyway.
4. The old valves were probably union fittings. The new ones will almost certainly be compression fittings. The new one will come with new tails, so you will have to remove the old tails, using a special spanner (e.g. Screwfix 11467) and screw in the new ones with some PTE tape or similar.
5. Costs, or rather timings?
5a. If a system drain down is required I'd budget on 45 minutes to drain, and at least an hour to refill and bleed. Or freeze the pipes with an electric freezer - 20 minutes.
5b. If just fitting extension(s) and new valves (no pipework alterations) between 30 and 60 minutes depending on how stubborn the old tails are.
5c. If also making pipework alterations, totally dependent on how the pipes are run and accessibility. If enough play in the existing pipes and the customer is prepared to accept slightly off vertical pipes or bends / fittings on show, 30 to 60 minutes. If floorboards are to be lifted, pipework altered below floor and new holes drilled for pipes in new locations, 1 to 4 hours depending on what you find under the floor. Any carpet / lino to be put back, but not to carpet fitting standards.
5d. Best case - say an hour.
5e. Worst case - six hours.
5f. At outer London prices between £80 and £500. Plus VAT plus parts

Thats really helpful, Ive been thinking about fitting some new rads and thats given me more info than Ive found anywhere online....those youtube channels make it seem ever so easy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back