Cost to install beam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have 3x builders coming to quote to install a rsj. Long story, history here.

I would value anyone's estimate for a fair price.

The SE spec is a 203x102x23UB on 250x100x150mm padstones, with 100mm of steel on each padstone. So 3.4m long. Positioned at right angles to the existing ceiling joists, at 2.5m into a 4.5m span.

This is for the ground floor kitchen ceiling, to support the bathroom joists above.
I have SE plans and removed all plasterboard.

So the job is:

1) source the beam
2) make holes in inner wall and fit padstones
3) secure beam in place

Beam will be about 80kg.
Ceiling is 2.8m high
No obstructions.
BC dont need to be involved (according to SE)
No need to fit new ceiling, I can do that myself.

What do you think is a reasonable cost?

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
£90 beam, £15 padstones, I'd have it hoiked up there in a day even by myself and doing it in stages up my tower scaffold. You have to think about getting it in - I'm guessing one internal half brick wall and one solid external wall - it'll need pushing through the inner wall and pulling back so you'll have making good there. Presumably you'll be packing between top of steel and joists above so position isn't that critical - get it up, bed padstones and just lower it down onto them.

That steel does seem big to me (unfortunately based on nothing scientific) but even so it's only the weight of 1 fat man and you only ever lift half of it.

It's a repair job so I wouldn't bother with building control.

Yeah. I'm that beam, and the padstones, and a bag of cement - but it's all muscle!

Realised I never updated this thread, which I find frustrating when others do not finish theirs.

£590 to supply and install 3.5m beam / padstones etc. I removed the existing ceiling, took cupboards off wall and disposed of the mess.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back