Cost to re-render detached house approx 200m2

So what would you expect to charge for the house in the picture assuming all flanks are roughly equal? Not £14k Shirley?

Sponsored Links
So what would you expect to charge for the house in the picture assuming all flanks are roughly equal? Not £14k Shirley?

Joe, I'm not sure what you are nibbling at here.

If you recall, I said

Although I disagree with joe that render will only last a couple of years, (it will also last decades if done properly) his overall price is about right top end ,depending on the kind of beads you use

I don't like to quote for an area I don't work in but even at £25/m2 that's 5k plus scaffolding. Hacking off is a total guess as that depends on how knackered it is and if it all actually has to come off.

I wouldn't dream of giving an actual quote for hacking off and rendering a one off from a picture.

As i said to the OP , take Nige up on a quute and take it from there

Sorry, misunderstood. I thought you meant the builder that quoted had the price right.

As far as render goes, it just never seems to be done right. The house down the road from me was done 18 months ago and I can see that it's ready to drop off. The only way to do it right is with loads of hessian fabric draped over it and kept wet for a week. Otherwise it doesn't set chemically - it just dries out and goes powdery.

Sorry, misunderstood. I thought you meant the builder that quoted had the price right.

As far as render goes, it just never seems to be done right. The house down the road from me was done 18 months ago and I can see that it's ready to drop off. The only way to do it right is with loads of hessian fabric draped over it and kept wet for a week. Otherwise it doesn't set chemically - it just dries out and goes powdery.

No worries joe. (we can argue about something else later)

I agree rendering is often not done right, but too often the result of getting the cheapest gang in to do it.

Curing is important, but hession not always needed. This time of year it can even need rubbing up the next day

Sponsored Links

No worries joe. (we can argue about something else later)

I agree rendering is often not done right, but too often the result of getting the cheapest gang in to do it.

Curing is important, but hession not always needed. This time of year it can even need rubbing up the next day

My two pence FWIW would be:

1. the original post seems bizzare - price, dims etc.Why no 4 x elevations pics?

2. Done properly, nothing wrong with S&L or S&L&C rendering. Roughcast is also fine, but a little more is req'd of the plasterer.

3. I've worked on S&L render 200 years old, that was doing great until a 1970's idiot came and painted it with an oil or plastic paint.

4. I reckon that the biggest enemy of render is a sloppy mix and a hard topping( in 2-coat work).

5. Typically, there's no need for hessian, nowadays there are spray-on's if req'd. But i'd be cautious about external work with frost around.

6. Rubbing up next day will work, but it will req. some elbow grease and sometimes a splash of water.

The trouble with sand and cement render is if mixed wrong it can easily crack, obviously though done right and it will last for years but there is not many people who mix it right and to be honest why use a old product when there is so many new modern renders on the market that is premixed either by bag or tub which are afar superior than sand and cement, its no coincidence that 90 percent of renders used on site are now the newer ones eg monocouche, silicone and acrylic renders, which are all pre colored and contain silicone's that let the rain wash off better !

To the OP, to have the house insulated and rendered look to pay £65-75 a metre. Wont need painting you can choose 100s of colours

or without insulation £40 metre (Newer renders) wont need painting

To be honest i dont think you have 200m on your house unless your counting the windows but I would only allow £20 for window area as it needs beading and rendering around the reveals which slows any renderer down in instead of rendering big flat areas where you can bang on far more in a day.

As far as scaffold is concerned I would allow between £1000-£1200 but im not to sure of prices down there.

Sand and cement allow no more than £20m but it will need painting as well
and like I said not as good as modern renders.

One more thing try to get a approved rendering contractor as the product will be guaranteed for ten years, Im a approved contractor for Weatherby, Jub and soon to be a Weber approved contractor and on all jobs I do the manufacturer guarantees the jobs as long as i install to their recommendations.

hope this helps !

As far as scaffold is concerned I would allow between £1000-£1200 but im not to sure of prices down there.

Sand and cement allow no more than £20m but it will need painting as well
and like I said not as good as modern renders.

hope this helps !
Double the Brum prices for Surrey ;)

You can brag about all the modern renders you like but i still haven't come across anything as hard or as tight to the wall as some of those 1950's jobs.

I don't know how they mixed the stuff but several hard blows with a hammer and a bolster chisel would only yield a piece as big as a fist!

You can brag about all the modern renders you like but i still haven't come across anything as hard or as tight to the wall as some of those 1950's jobs.

I don't know how they mixed the stuff but several hard blows with a hammer and a bolster chisel would only yield a piece as big as a fist!
Im not bragging TBF thats a bit harsh, If the stuff they used is the 1950s is so good why dont they still use it, my guess would be yeah its hard but in turn this will make it brittle to movement, plus i guess its not as breathable as the modern renders :LOL:

Will the modern renders still be there 60 to 70 years on? I doubt it.

Will the modern renders still be there 60 to 70 years on? I doubt it.
what makes you say that ? is there some information you know that your basing that on or just a whim, its very easy to make comments like that on a forum but without any real evidence its pointless, unless you have evidence to the contrary ! have you even used any of the modern renders to base your knowledge ?

Well what's your proof? You are making the claim.

Do you give a 70 year guarantee? Why not if you think it will last that long. What guarantee do you give?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back