Cotton? braided insulated cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anyone come across a im guessing nylon or cotton braided cable ? I can't identify it but it looks old.

Sponsored Links
you can still get it, the braid is purely ornamental.

Sponsored Links
It depends what you mean by cotton braided cable.

There's the old stuff which is VIR cable
Then there's iron flex
Then you've modern decorative flex which is PVC cable wrapped in cotton
Then there's old high temperature stuff which might even be asbestos
And I'm sure I've forgotten some.

Do you have a picture?

That's VIR. It's a rubber insulated cable that's wrapped in waxed cotton.

I've come across loads of it. What would you like to know?

I have took some pics but they are on my phone and can't upload them ATM.
It's running through some 32mm metal conduit supplying a sub main , red in colour.
The earth electrode is also in this cable but because it's clipped outside its in very bad condition and started to go white my first thought was its asbestos insulation.
But my experience of this cable is 0.
I have come across similar in houses usually in conduits but never in use before.

The red braided stuff looks like what I have seen in old installations. The rubber insulation is always perished and brittle, usually cracked and sometimes falling off the conductor. It belongs in the skip.

The fluffly white stuff I have seen in very old installations and assumed to be asbestos. As the fibres crumble, release and blow around I would treat them with enormous suspicion, verging on fear.

We had a lot of asbestosis round here in three waves: first the men who worked in the dockyards, followed by the wives who used to wash their overalls and share a pillow, followed by their sons and daughters who had shared a house.

No. Service cable split con to cutout > PVC 25mm tails to Henley then PVC tails to RCD then this cotton out of RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back