Could anyone explain stairs to a loft for me and regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

our loft which I’m strengthening the joist for is for storage, I was thinking about fitting a fixed space saving staircase to the loft.

after reading the regs I’m a bit confused, it goes on about fire doors throughout, smoke alarm, point of escape etc.

is this just for a loft that is “habitat-able” or any loft with a fixed stair case?

im not too concerned about the fire alarm
Thing as we have wired in alarms and the wiring passes through the loft so I can take
A
Feed from there and our Velux is a fire escape window.

I guess what I am trying to say is if I’m only using
It for
Storage can I fit a space saving staircase without BC/BR and replacing every door in my
House? Thanks
Jake

Sponsored Links
If you were to sell your house, then without the loft space passing and having building regs, it can't be described as a bedroom etc.., just loft storage space.

So yes, you only need to worry about doors, fire alarm, escape route, stairs etc.. if you went down the regs route.

Ah fantastic thanks :) it is never going to be a conversion due to hight limitations below regs and literally it’s just going to be storage without cob webs lol

due to a health issue while serving in the force Im going to struggle pulling a ladder down all the time
So thought this may be my best option thanks again
Jake

Sponsored Links
Fitting a fixed staircase is essentially converting the loft even if you do no other conversion work (essentially you are changing the use) and so all the building regulations for a loft conversion apply. There is no "only for storage".

Unauthorised building works also affect you home insurance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back