Could it really be the joists?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening all.

About 10 or so months ago our bath was sinking into the floor a little and we noticed a bit of water coming through the kitchen ceiling. We called the plumber round and he discovered that the bath was leaking which in turn rotted the floorboard (weyroc). Anyway, he put in new flooring, refitted the bath, jobs a good un...

Since then, a little while ago, we realised that the bath was starting to sink again and a gap started to appear between the top of the bath and the tiles again. And then a tiny bit of water appeared on the kitchen ceiling, again. We called the plumber back round and he seems to think that the joists may be knackered and that's why the bath is sinking.

First of all, this sounds b***dy expensive to me. Secondly, does this ring true with anyone? I mean what else could be the reason why the floor is sinking again?

Any pointers will be gratefully received.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
OK.

I'm not sure I follow.

Does this mean it could be the joists or not?

Cheers

take the bath pannel off and investigate to see if it might be dry rot/wet rot,its a bit hard trying to give you advice without any pics or seeing the problem,but do expect the worse and if its good news then its a bonus.

Sponsored Links
This could be quite simply a few questions is this a new house or old .
Moving forward if you have had a long term leak the joists will have been saturated with water,this will make them swell considerably in size, so you then renewed the floor boarding onto wet joists and placed the bath back.
the joist then start to dry out and shrink which in turn will lower your bath .

a tip here would be to leave the panel off the bath open the windows regularly and then jack the bath up tight to the tiles with the leg adjusters, then fill it to the top with water befote you seal round the bath and the tiles this gives the bath weight, and this will make the seal work better when dry.
leave for 24 hours to dry before releasing the water.

what did he use to repair the floor? It wasn't chipboard, was it?

Good tips from egral

taking the bath panel off will allow it to dry out, and also enable you to look under there with a torch to see what is happening. If there is any gap, water will get through from showering or splashy baths.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back