Could standard radiator valve be faulty?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a radiator in a bedroom where I'm hearing a knocking sound coming from what I think is the valve. The valve is pretty much just a regular open and close one.

I've lifted floorboards and lagged the pipes where it touches the joist in order to stop that from being an issue, the central heating system has been flushed and bled so I can't think of anything else that could be causing this knocking. It doesn't sound like expansion noises from the brackets either.

Could the valve be faulty? I've heard that TRVs can cause problems but as this isn't one, could the valve still be an issue?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It sounds like a knocking noise, as if something is banging against the pipe.

Sponsored Links
Are all TRVs on the flow side? are they bi-directional valves?

Where is your bypass rad, or do you have a by-pass, potentially the plunger is bouncing due to pressure differential

Sorry, I've think i've caused some confusion. I don't have TRVs at all. I was just saying that i'm aware that a faulty one can cause a problem but mine are all regular valves (non TRV) and if the same could apply here.

That's basically what I'm wondering. If it's not the valve then it must be something else. Just wondering if it's a possibility.

Don't think it's the valve. Felt the pipe as the heating was on and I could feel a vibration when the knocking sound occurred. Could be that there is a blockage although the system was flushed recently. I don't think it's a joist as when I lift the pipe slightly it still knocks, unless it's another joist I cannot access.

I'm thinking that maybe I should drain the rad, flush that and see what happens?

Just in case anyone reads this and wonders how I fixed it....

There was another pipe running about a metre away from the rad. This was laid tightly across many joists and was causing the problem. Fixed it using some lagging and widening the joists so that the pipe would not rub against them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back