Could this be the expansion vessel?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Please bear with me as I'm no expert on this! I have an INTESA 23 TP MFFI combi boiler that was installed about 5 years ago when I moved into the house. Anyway, we had all sorts of problems initially with leaking pipes under radiators but we solved that.

Earlier this year, the boiler would slowly start to rise in pressure constantly so I've had to drain radiators almost daily. I thought it might be a passing valve at the source where you repressurise the system. However, when I used the central hearing during the spring the pressure rose to 3 bar pretty quickly then slowly would fall to about 1 bar. Once turned off, the pressure would go back to zero only to start creeping up when repressurised.
Anyway, around 8 weeks ago I called the plumber around and he stated that the problem was the expansion vessel. He still hasn't fit the new one (frustrating) so I'll chase up today. However, last night I tried the heating for the fiesrt time in months. Pressure quickly went up towards 3 bar. When I checked again 20 mins later the pressure was zero so am assuming the water has gone out through the PRV outside or I've got another leak under the floorboards! What's confused me is that I now cannot repressure the system fully. I open the valve by the filling loop and can only get up to about 0.7 bar despite pumping water in for over a minute! The second I close the valve the pressure goes to zero in seconds!!!![/b] To me that seems like a leak under a radiator or something but could a faulty expansion vessel cause the system to drain out that quickly when refilling?? Apologies for rambling! Regards, Gareth

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back