Could you/would you run a plug socket off this?

Sponsored Links
... 3 - How many amps is a pneumatic drill?
If it really were "pneumatic", it would (at least in itself) presumably not using any 'amps' at all?

... I thought he was the one who insists on precisely correct terminology to refer to anything/everything?

Kind Regards, John

Stop it Winston.

1 & 2 - So what? Don't do it again.

3 - How many amps is a pneumatic drill?

Have asked before:

Do you only have two sockets on each of your 32A circuits?

Three would surely be asking for trouble.
1 is tedious.
2 possibly a foot or worse through the ceiling.
3 enough to trip a 6 amp MCB on startup.

Re your question, no.

I’ve known of three cases of lights being tripped due to a 13 amp socket on a lighting circuit.
1. A kettle being plugged into a garage socket tripped downstairs lights.
2. A vacuum cleaner being plugged into a loft socket tripped upstairs lights plunging the loft into darkness.
3. A pneumatic drill plugged into an outside socket tripped all the outside lights.

In each case the sockets were on 6 amp lighting circuits and I had to rewire them to the appropriate rings.

But I did not post on here asking how to correct it nor did l report it on the national news.
Therefore the problem that only you seem to have been troubled by has gone away...

Surely that's the end of it.

However despite being in the regs: In my opinion
1. Wiring a garage socket onto a lighting circuit is poor design as potential loads are large.
2. Don't plug heavy loads into loft sockets as they are very likely to be on small OCPD's.
3. Wiring an outside socket onto a lighting circuit is poor design as potential loads are large.

If all the other thousands of similar installations had the same problems we would have been hearing about them in their droves... however we don't hear about them.

Alternatively: I wonder if you have ever thought to start a thread asking for people to offer their experience with similar installations, if such information would be forthcoming you could start a crusade with the authors to ammend the regs when you provide the evidence for them.

Sponsored Links
1. Wiring a garage socket onto a lighting circuit is poor design as potential loads are large.
2. Don't plug heavy loads into loft sockets as they are very likely to be on small OCPD's.
3. Wiring an outside socket onto a lighting circuit is poor design as potential loads are large.
As I have said this is clearly a case of the regs being wrong. Not for the first time either.

Remember that nonsense a few years back when sparks were bonding just about all exposed metal, door knobs, window frames etc because the regs were wrong?

As I have said this is clearly a case of the regs being wrong. Not for the first time either.
What a load of tosh. Nothing you have written proves or even demonstrates the regs are wrong, 2 of your listed installations are examples of poor circuit design, nothing more.
Remember that nonsense a few years back when sparks were bonding just about all exposed metal, door knobs, window frames etc because the regs were wrong?
I remember that well, despite having to do loads of such bonding which was a right royal PITA I still don't describe it as wrong as it was a kneejerk reaction to a rising problem. Luckily for us it has been reassessed, as all elements of the regs are, and the rules have been clarified/ammended as appropriate.
There are many things that have come and gone in the regs over the years and all of them are for a reason.
Now we are even seeing the acceptance of the 'earth' wire going through a contactor in EV points as a safety feature.

One of the things I think is wrong but you show total acceptance of is wiring #3KW ovens to 32A circuits without fusing down. I accept the regs appear to promote it and accordingly I accept it's legitimacy for now until it's removed again after a few more fires occur.

Last edited:
I thought we had decided (thanks to Securespark if I remember correctly showing the wording) that the 15th edition was virtually word for word the same as the later versions regarding bonding and the fad for bonding everything during that time must have been because of misreading, as still happens today, with people disregarding the fact that the regulations only apply to extraneous-conductive-parts.

One of the things I think is wrong but you show total acceptance of is wiring #3KW ovens to 32A circuits without fusing down. I accept the regs appear to promote it and accordingly I accept it's legitimacy for now until it's removed again after a few more fires occur.

The fuse is to protect the cable not the oven on the end of it which should be internally protected.

And that poor design is the bad practice of putting 13 amp sockets on a lighting circuit.
STOP STOP STOP
you have repeated your interpretation of this issue over and over again. More than once on this topic.

Please can we get back to the issue, although, I expect, he/she - like so many - have just given up.
@simondyntDBeK

Back to the topic. Have you had enough advice now for you to decide what to do to answer your question? :whistle::whistle:

The fuse is to protect the cable not the oven on the end of it which should be internally protected.
But it usually has a 1.5mm² flex so by your description it requires fusing down otherwise this may happen...
upload_2021-9-24_23-39-51-jpeg.245014

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back