Council tax discount.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am finally divorced and enquired about a council tax discount.
I was told I probably won't get it, even though my ex is living elsewhere, as she still has a financial interest in the property until it is sold.

Any opinions?

Sponsored Links
According to my local council

Council Tax is made up of a property element (50%) and a person element (50%) and assumes that there are two or more adult occupiers. If there is only one adult occupiers or if additional people are disregarded for the purposes of Council Tax a discount of 25% may be claimed. If you want to claim a Single Person Discount it is important that you tell us as soon as possible. We need to ensure that we can verify that you are the sole occupier and so we will ask you to complete an application form Opens in a new window.We will normally award the Single Person Discount from the date you apply and will normally go back for up to 3 months. If you are late requesting a Single Person Discount we may require you to provide evidence to confirm your sole occupation of the property before any discount award is applied and to explain why you delayed your application.

its nothing at all to do with ownership its to do with 1 adult 25% discount

if you have a mortgage is mr tsb or mister halifax the second person in the house :eek:

I don't know where she lives now but they obviously could find out, yet when I asked if they would chase her for 50% if I only paid 'my' half they said not unless she contacted them They would chase me for the whole amount even though the bill is in both names.

Sponsored Links
I am finally divorced and enquired about a council tax discount.
I was told I probably won't get it, even though my ex is living elsewhere, as she still has a financial interest in the property until it is sold.

Any opinions?

Invest in some boot polish :LOL:

I am finally divorced

congratulations Conny x

http://liverpool.gov.uk/council-tax/discounts-and-exemptions/

looks like your council has tightened up the rules!

Thanks Diane. I knew I would get there in the end, Lol!

Thanks for the link, I have written to them to say I work away from the house and can only return every 3 or 4 weeks because of this.
It just seems so unfair that because they 'readily' have a mailing address for me they will hold me responsible for the full amount.

If your living in the property on yer own, then irrespective of anyone else's share in the home, your entitled to the 25% single person's discount. ;)

Bloody councils are robbing ba$tards. They'll take as much money from us as they can possibly manage, be it council tax, parking fines, bus lane fines, etc.

Well, I suppose they've got to fund their banquets and visits to twinned towns somehow.

Just remember this when the next local authority elections come around again.

Council tax in the last five years has doubled and earning for many, especially in the private sector have gone down.

I don't know where she lives now but they obviously could find out, yet when I asked if they would chase her for 50% if I only paid 'my' half they said not unless she contacted them They would chase me for the whole amount even though the bill is in both names.
easy enough
re-register in your sole name
and positivly encourage them to come round un announced and check

if you are on a single wage have you checked your not entitles to council tax help ??

If it had anything to do with financial interest then every single person living in rented accomodation would have to pay full amount as they have a landlord with a financial interest .

You get the 25% off no argument whatsoever

If it had anything to do with financial interest then every single person living in rented accomodation would have to pay full amount as they have a landlord with a financial interest .

You get the 25% off no argument whatsoever

fully agree
they are taking the default situation
make it awkward and hope you keep paying
or they simply dont believe you

My daughter kicked her soon-to-be ex out and got the discount right away on the strength of a phone call (West Sussex). She has lived in the house which is about to be sold, for 6 months while the divorce proceeds.

You're entitled to the discount, no question.

Sponsored Links
Back