Labours new council tax plans

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just been reading in the Sunday paper about labours new council tax plans. Apparently they plan to increase the number of bands to 11 from 8 and the bands will be allocated on current property values.

We purchased our house ten years ago for £45K its now worth £130K thanks to the ridiculous property market. So under the new plans I will fall into band 8 or 9. Thats £2k p.a. That means I'm having to find and extra £1k p.a.

Labour claim that as we have all benefitted from the property price rises we can afford higher council tax. But in reality you dont benefit until you sell your house and live in a bloody tent.

The new increases are due to come into force in 2006.

No doubt when property falls to resonable levels the council tax will still be based on 2005 prices.

Anyone who votes for this bunch of rip off merchants needs their head examining. :evil:

Sponsored Links
i wish i were PM. id actually listen to the people and try and make the UK better

And they'll want you paying it 'til you die ... Pensioners may get CT relief, oh, right ..... But in their usual style giving a little with one hand and taking a lot back with the other ..
Hey ! we will make it law that you retire at 70 .. you just love working and not being termed a pensioner for another 5 yrs .. dontcha ?

Remember the seamstresses at Ford ? Fought for the right to retire at 65 ? Shortly after the process began foer all women to retire at 65 ... Was that really progress ? I know plenty who have worked on, but with the bit extra from a pension too ... good luck to 'em, a pee drop in the ocean compared to what the snouters are taking out of the system.
:LOL:

How much more does this government want out of us :?:

Labour tax & spend policies never works. My Council grant has been cut down to £5,000,000 from the government and they are now shutting down the famous long running theatre in my town and shutting down seven youth club centre, cutting more bus route and so on to save £5,000,000.

I don't remember the council tax band is going to be revalue from April in the Labour manifesto for more tax grabbing.

When is all this money grabbing going to stop :?:

Sponsored Links
Never gonna stop, once started and the revenue spent, the state, like the inveterate benefitee, becomes dependant on the income .. which must grow to stand still in 'real terms' ... hence 'tip yer wallets upside down' for ever more until costs overtake your income and you pass into the nether world of benefits and fuel the cycle ... unable to risk losing those benefits by voting for other than retaining the 'status quo' .... Welcome to Gordon's new age tartan army .. :cry: :cry:

masona said:
My Council grant has been cut down to £5,000,000 from the government and they are now shutting down the famous long running theatre in my town and shutting down seven youth club centre, cutting more bus route and so on to save £5,000,000.

Now now, it makes sense. Now they can pump these savings back into extra police and community support officers in order to arrest the yobbery who are now roaming the streets, vandalising and fighting because they've got "nothing else to do".

And who needs a theatre when getting rid of it will make room for new 24-hour pubs? Lord Protector Tony wants a cafe culture, not a culture culture!

flipping labour party, line em up and throw rotten tomatoes at em I say, I'm with you guys, bring back Maggi (thats soup?), the only thing is its abit boring us all agreeing with each other isn't it? maybe I should go back to my "do gooder" ways. :evil:

On the way home I heard on the radio that a boy with full-blown Tourette's Syndrome has been given an ASBO for swearing in public :eek:

I think its time to have a revolution or live in France.

On the way home I heard on the radio that a boy with full-blown Tourette's Syndrome has been given an ASBO for swearing in public

I never heard that Adam but it doesn't suprise me. We have a lady who lives near us who suffers with this unfortunate problem. Most people in the area understand, although you do see the odd look when she tells someone to "F" off in Sainsbury's! You would expect a magistrate to be both better informed and more sympathetic though. I am curious if there is any appeals procedure against Asbo's especially on medical grounds.

Freddie said:
I think its time to have a revolution or blow up the goverment, or leave this god forsaken place, highest petrol in Europe, high and more tax, other countries dont have council tax. I know someone who sold up and went to live in Ireland, no rates no council tax, i believe the same applies in France

Now what about a 'pump up' Govn ? Inflate, deflate via the red button on TV, they love the media so ! ..... Some real 'reality TV' continuous voting system, Never get any real decisions ..... Given the last few years probably a good thing .. stop the tinkering !!
;)

david and julie said:
We have a lady who lives near us who suffers with this unfortunate problem.

I was in the NatWest a while ago in Heaton Chapel when a chap looked over at me and smiled. I meet loads of people I know round there so I smiled back. I'm a bit deaf, so didn't hear what he said, I just assumed it was something like "How are you?".

When I got out of the bank, a bloke told me what he'd said:

"Go away, you female parent-loving fell ator!!!"

He was livid and wanted to give the lad a piece of his mind, calling him a foul-mouthed lout.

It is sad that the syndrome is so misunderstood.

securespark said:
It is sad that the syndrome is so misunderstood.

But why is it that sufferers are so accurate in picking up "swear" words or phrases?

Peter Schmeikel the 'great Dane' was a tremendous goalkeeper for Man Utd, he is also a great ambassador for the game, himself and emigrees with the right stuff .... Listen to this calm guy talking on TV, better English than most of us !!

And so, in his enormous footprints walks another potential great, handling quite different problems, with aplomb .... Ok so there are degrees of suffering, but he is open to all kinds of abuse given his chosen carreer among the unwashed.
.... Manchester United goalie Tim Howard tells Steve Kroft he's been controlling Tourette's syndrome by willpower since he was a child.....

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/01/13/60minutes/main666797.shtml

The question is, how does one know just what may be confronting one ? I wonder if the recent 'cyclist in the park' felt he knew why the guy about to murder him was behaving strangely ? And got it terribly wrong.
Should we be put in these situations ?
There is more to the ASBO than meets the eye, I believe. A women in our area was given one recently for attempting on numerous occasions to take her life ... She must not jump into rivers or off bridges etc ...
http://www.thisisbath.com/displayNo...nalSearch&keyword=asbo&formname=sidebarsearch
Sounds daft doesn't it ? There is more to this than mere 'punishment' a precurser to residential care I would imagine ...

P

Sponsored Links
Back