Couple of problems with my home, help appriciated...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i'm new to any forums like this and was really looking for some direction and help. I have a semi detatched house built 1912 time that is single brick. I am having problems inside on my outside wall side and wanted the best solution to remedy this!

Mould is growing next to the front door upwards to the ceiling and about 3ft across at the bottom in a triangle shape, the wall up the stairs is fine and into the bathroom is also good then it starts again round the toilet (same wall) and onto the back wall (both starting in the corners and rising) again triangular)

There is no heating in the stairs or landing and only a towel radiator in the bathroom, no air brick that I can see but the bathroom has an uprated extractor fan.

Whats my next steps, boarding out the bathroom and stairs (needs it as it's freezing!) air bricks too?

Alot of the black wipes straight off but just showing it at it's worst.

Thanks for your time

Adam

015_zps7dddbba8.jpg

014_zpsea542a81.jpg

016_zpsc129c280.jpg

017_zpsd9d63237.jpg

019_zpscdaf40aa.jpg

Sponsored Links
First step is to check outside for blown / cracked render leaking downpipes gutters etc.

Is that a dehumidifier on the landing? Good idea but you need to leave the doors open for air to circulate. You need heating in the hall too.

You may get some help from a product like Wallrock thermal liner to make the inner wall warmer to resist condensation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9Q072gox7I

Many posts I have responded to regarding this....

The first thing to do is change your habits and how you use the house. It is a free and easy way of possibly fixing the problem. Do not spend any money on expensive fixes without properly detemining the cause.

It seems to be a problem of too much moisture/water vapour, poor heating and insulation and not enough ventilation.

You say the house is 1912? Are the walls cavity walls? Or Solid?

If you house is not consistently heated, the water vapour in the air begins to condensate in the colder areas of the house.

Warm air holds more water then cold. As the air cools in a colder part of your house, it can not hold the water. The water then condensates on the coldest areas. Usually this happens on an outside wall in a room that is not consistently heated. Hence it forms near your front door on an outside wall....a cold area of the house

In the bathroom you need to make sure the extractor fan is up to the job. Does it go out with the light? Or stay on much longer? If it goes of quickly, then it is no good. See if you can change a setting on it.

Ideally you want an extractor with a humidistat that will keep going until the humidity is at an acceptable level.

Drying clothes on radiators is also a big no no! Do you do this? do you have a tumble dryer? Does it vent outside properly?

Here is another post I responded to on the subject

//www.diynot.com/forums/building/possible-damp-patch-on-interior-wall.387867/#2980376

And read these publications:

http://www.scotland.gov.uk/Publications/2005/05/10103020/30217

http://www.bolton.gov.uk/sites/DocumentCentre/Documents/Condensation and Mould.pdf

Thanks for the replies and info good to get some advice

The house is solid brick no cavity wall and no insulation on the inside.

Our dryer is down in the shed so no problems there although every now and again a jumper might get put on the radiator if cannot be tumble dried but not often.

In the bathroom we have not got an extractor that stays on, saying that the window is always open before/during and after the shower and the extractor which comes on with the light stays on for a good half hour after until it's clear before being turned off.

Dehumidifier is used but don't think it solves it so it isn't used as often as it should be.

Would a rad down the bottom of the stairs and wall insulation help as it would be a warmer temp in there, treally is like an ice box when you open the lounge door!

Sponsored Links
A slim long radiator (if hall sapce is an issue) on the internal wall (I assume the other side of the hallway is the wall to the front room) may be a good idea. I would not heat the space too much, as you are just heating dead space, just enough to get some convection and circulation going.

I would not put a radiator on an external wall, especially a solid one. You would just be heating an external wall.

It is more about air ciculation more than anything else. Closing all the doors means you have zones of very warm and very cold areas and little circulation. If air does not circulate then it will easily find a place to condensate. When the warm air meets the cold..it cools....condensation!

Insulating the exterior walls is possibly a good idea. As long as you have followed those guides and done as much as you can do first. Then look at the more costly options.

As i am sure you are aware, you can get internal or external insulation and there are pros and cons to each.....

Also check that the front door is sealed correctly. If there is a blast of cold air coming in from around the door, this will make that area much colder....

Just to add, the extractor that stays on is much more preferable. If it just goes off when you leave the room, then the extractor is not doing it's job. A open window is not usually enough....

You should easily be able to replace it with one that stays on. As I said, if you get one with a humidistat, it stays on untill the humidity in the room is at the correct level.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back