End terrace damp / condensation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice about (what I think!) may be a damp/condensation problem.

We live in a terrace (built circa 1900) in an end property. Having removed the wallpaper I am keen to begin plastering / decorating but have noticed that in places, the walls on both the ground and first floor that are on the inside of this end wall are damp and clammy to the touch.

The walls affected are the kitchen on the ground floor, the wall on the stairs leading to the first floor and the bathroom wall.

I haven’t knocked off any plaster but I am fairly certain that there is no wall insulation between the outer brick and the inner plaster.

I should add that at the foot of the stairs leading from ground to first floor there is an air brick. I’ve checked and this isn’t blocked.

I would guess that simply painting onto the new plaster will not resolve the problem. Research I’ve done suggests that lack of ventilation is the problem but I’m concerned that simply adding airbricks whilst helping ventilation could lead to draughts and loss of heat.

Then again, if the problem of condensation on the walls is just something that goes with living in an end terrace and there is no serious structural then I may to live with it.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Rob

Sponsored Links
Ventilation and insulation are the main remedies for condensation related damp.

Lifestyle issues such as cooking, drying clothes in the house, showering and bathing, large occupancy etc can all add to the condensation levels if there are no mechanical extractor vents and the windows are never opened.

Passive ventilation need not mean a drafty home.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back