Couple of quick questions on grout repair and also bath sealing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

The grout on my bathroom floor tiles has multiple chips out of it, I'm going to finally get round to fixing it up this week,nice never tiled before though so have a couple of quick questions.
20201115_112446.jpg
I am looking at buying a tile float, I noticed that Screwfix also sell a grout spreader instead which is about 1/4 the price, it looks like a sort of squeegee spreader. Is there much advantage in going for the float for a small job like this?

For the grout itself, I'm looking for a small amount of preferably pre made stuff, can anybody recommend anything? The pre made stuff I found seems mainly for wall tiles, is there much actual difference between wall and floor grout?

Finally, I suspect it may be off topic for this forum but in my bath where it meets both the floor tiles and wall tiles there is some sort of plastic strip used for sealing instead of silicon. Under this strip is filthy with what I assume is mould. I plan on cleaning this up but is there any general tips or products for doing this, I'm thinking over covering it with white silicon to prevent the mould coming back through

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The grout floats are great if your covering a large area or doing it frequently. They move the grout around better but if you want to save a few quid and won't be doing it often there's nothing wrong with a cheap spreader. You can use anything to move grout around for small areas. Get yourself a bucket of clean water and a sponge, rinse it out after you've spread the grout in and wipe over the spaces to smooth it off. Don't use your finger :D.

I've only used the grout that you mix yourself, it's really easy and probably much cheaper, a very small amount of water add powder and stir until it's a decent consistency. Pre mixed, make sure it's waterproof for a floor, unibond or another known brand would be a safe bet.

Cleaning mould off, bleach is always best, apply, leave for a 20-30 mins and rinse off. All silicone goes mouldy after a while near water. Dow corning is a good brand to replace existing silicone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back