Court Case For Dumping Litter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I will be careful what I say here. This story involves someone who has not yet been to court, but it looks likely to happen in the very near future.

This person gives carboard boxes to his neighbour. These boxes are the sort you'd have something delivered in, ie they have his name and address on.His neighbour is a member of a church, and these boxes are passed on, and used for all sorts of different purposes.

The local council found one of these boxes in a nearby street containing lots of rubbish.

It also contained an empty envelope with this person's name and address on it.

This person is now being persued by the council for costs in cleaning up this box of rubbish (£50.00).

He did not dump the rubbish, and is rightly refusing to pay. He says the council can send him a bill IF they can prove he was the fly-tipper.

They are insisting on arguing the case in court.

What do people think?

I am NOT, Breezer, asking for legal advice, just thoughts and opinions about this situation.

Sponsored Links
IF they can prove he was the fly-tipper
The council haven't a hope in hell. You can only get done if you have been witnessed actually committing the offence. That's why they set up sting operations with CCTV cameras. This one's a no brainer.

securespark said:
I am NOT, Breezer, asking for legal advice, just thoughts and opinions about this situation.

on the contary, i was going to say, i have similar boxes, but i always remove my details.

Although its not (lets call him Mr X) Mr x's fault, for the box ending up where it did, it his fault for not removing his details, I think he will loose, soley because the box has his name on it.

Let me try this one on you.

you wake up there is a car in your drive that is not yours, you call police, give index # they "let slip" it belongs to mr G, you call mr G ask him to pick his car up, obvioulsy it has been stolen, mr G say he doesnt want car, its old and a pile of junk (which it is) mr G says car was stolen (which it was) you now have a car on your drive, that is behind your car, what are you going to do?

now suppose that wasnt a car, but a box.............

Sponsored Links
now suppose that wasnt a car, but a box
Push the box out onto the street, and report it to the local council as abandoned. Let them sort it out :LOL:

I know a guy owns a farm with fields running down to the edge of a generally rough area of town.
One day he was about to clear up the inevitable piles of rubbish deposited in a field, his interest was taken with several envelopes each bearing the same address ..... In a moment of rage a decision is made !! He loads trailer , en route back through farmyard picks up the old A to Z, locates the address, drives there and throws the rubbish onto person's lawn. Turns out that the person (a recent buy to let owner) has the perfect alibi, had builders in and part of the contract was clearing garden .... they fly- tipped the rubbish .... The farmer under the threat of legal action had to return and clean up the mess !!

I think the original owner of the box(es) should not put him / her self in any dilemma over this .... The accused should relate the story to the person to whom the accused had given the boxes, make it plain that in court under oath the truth will have to come out as the accused is not prepared to perjure himself .... if the box receiver will not play ball then he/she ain't worth bothering with ... So dob dob !!
p

uh oh pate hate subject...

If it wasn't so difficult and expensive to dispose of household rubbish fly tipping wouldn't happen. I blame the greedy councils trying to make yet more money.

I have just fitted some new internal doors and wish to dispose of the old ones, but i'm only allowed to throw away one per week, so have to make seven trips over seven weeks to dispose of them. Alternativley I can pay £30.00 to throw them away in one go. :mad:

We have the brown bin scheme, we pay £40.00 p.a. for the bin, the garden waste gets turned into compost which the council then sell. Taking the p**s or what?. :evil:

I'm all for recycling but make it easy and cheap. At the end of the day someone is making money out of recyling and its not the tax payer. Until things change fly tipping will continue to get worse.

Cut the doors up and tip 'em as scrap timber or give to someone with a wood burner .. blimey, we chuck whatever in our local 'council' destructor, as long as we segregate, only 'business' have to pay .. well they probably have charged for it anyway !!
we in BANES have green box recycling plus garden waste collections, using large paper bags at 35p each (very good, holds grass for 2 weeks without failing) or a large wheelie bin at £36 for 18 months or so ... to be honest I like that, it has cut down the number of anti-social, illegal, garden waste bonfires which abounded hereabouts.
P

we must be lucky then in our town.

we dont, but most parts have 3 wheelie bins (we only have 2)

Grey, general house hold rubbish
Green cardboard (thin) paper, plastics
Brown Garden rubbish

if us or any of our neighbours have something large to get rid of (not settee, or bed, but doors, cupboards etc), its usually chopped up, and shared about between us all.

Funny thing is is you forget to put something in the bin, say a balck bag of rubbish they will leave it there, it must be in the bin or it stays.

The other thing is the bins must be at the emd of the drive (not just in side, but at the end) if not it does not get emptied

Tis all give and take, black bagged and in normal oldy fash bins, binmen come into property and collect bags from bin .... green box is put out but just inside gates as is the garden waste.
P

we have a black bin for genral rubbish, green bin for garden rubbish and a small black container for paper, glass etc

Stockport do as andrew's council.

Black bag for rubbish.

Green bin for garden waste, not paid for.

Black crate for glass & metals. They don't take card or plastics from the door yet, but you can take them yourself.

Our 'green box' recycle takes :- Glass,PLASTIC, Paper, Tins, Clothes,Shoes. Good really as it keeps one on ones toes with regard to cleaning jars bottles etc ... all as clean as normal washing up before binned.
The fortnightly 'garden waste' takes anything compostable inc. cardboard. ... I have found the small charge for this cheaper than driving to destructor site.
P

pipme said:
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". How do I return ?

Pip, mate: That depends on what the hobby is, and more importantly, where you are now!!

Sponsored Links
Back