Coverable Downlights?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone got any views on these new downlights that you can put insulation direct on to?
http://www.downlightsdirect.co.uk/insulation-coverable-downlights.html

I am thinking I'll fit them with 5W or 7W LED bulbs. I want to be able to dim them and there's no chance of getting rid of the insulation as there's a flat above me. My other priority is soundproofing; they claim to be acoustic-rated as well, but are they effective?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
The ceiling is the also a fire barrier betweeen your place and the flat above. Its therefore a bad idea to make holes in it, and you will probably be in breach of your lease/tenancy agrrement.

They are fire-rated too. And I've already pulled the entire ceiling down...

fire rated fittings are acceptable between 2 fire compartments. However if would not feel comfortable fitting these and using gu10 mains halogen lamps with the heat they generate and considering they will be completely surrounded by insulation. If you remove some of the insulation you may be in in breach of part E of the building regs.

LED lamps do "run cool" If you decide to carry on regardless, dont fit the ones in your link expecting to fit 7W Leds in them as they wont (others may know different). ie if you plan on fitting an amount that will give enough lumens, and you find you can only fit 4/5 watts lamps then you may be short of light. You can get impressive lumen figures off some lamps but you may not like the cool, blueish, white, harsh light they give off. Do you want ambient of task specific lighting?

Sponsored Links
My other priority is soundproofing; they claim to be acoustic-rated as well, but are they effective?
They probably are, but only when fitted into a ceiling which is designed to resist the passage of sound.
As you have already removed the ceiling, you will need to install a new one which meets the relevant standards for both fire resistance and sound resistance.

A single or double thickness of plasterboard will NOT meet those requirements.

Yes, I'm fitting 100mm RWA45 in the voids, then two layers of acoustic plasterboard off resilient bars underneath the joists. That should definitely cover the regs, but I'm happy to do so because I want good sound protection.

How about the downlighters though...?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back